Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 25

             Ivan watched the monitors and the clock. Mitch and Alison had finally gotten quiet in the back room. He had to admire Ms. Perkins, Mitch’s body had recovered surprisingly well and the nanobots had repaired a number of problems for Mitch. In particular, he now had the stamina of a thirty-five-year-old and he used it. Ivan had been ecstatic that Ms. Perkins body was a perfect incubator for Mitch’s progeny and Ivan was delighted that she had agreed to let him monitor her progress. The baby, when it arrived, would be the first child born with the technology of nanobots, a natural part of its anatomy. The child would be superior specimen and Ivan intended to make sure the child was his to raise. Mitch owed him and when the time came he would collect.

Mitch walked out of the backroom entirely satisfied. His little fiance was tied to the bed still in the throes of passion and had been begging for more, but Mitch wanted her to understand who the boss was in this relationship. He would leave her wanting, to show her he made the decision when to marry, not her.

In the backroom, Alison writhed on the bed. Mitch had tied the rope he had found in such a way that every time she moved her body it rubbed across either her sensitive breast or her tender and swollen nub, keeping her in a perpetual state of arousal. She prayed he would come back soon to relieve her. The man was her master and she loved him fully, but after all these years she wanted him to want her and she would do anything to keep him interested in her.

Mitch walked over to Ivan, “Have they left yet?”

“There are just a few left here, I imagine they’ll be leaving soon. We shall have to move down here on a more permanent basis for the majority of the time at least for a few more days. Just until they tire of watching an empty compound.”

“Damn! Why are they trying so hard to find us?”

“Reverend, I’m surprised at you, such language.”

“Righteous anger of the Lord permits me to express myself. Those infidels will get their just rewards when I’m fully healed and can gather my flock once more.” Mitch said religiously. Then he spotted two of the remaining men walking out of the compound and exclaimed. “Who are those two men? They are familiar?”

Kipling looked at the monitor and recognized John McBain and Todd Manning leaving. “Ah yes, those two gentlemen. They, my dear Reverend, are the instigators of this raid and two men I would personally like to see fry in hell. Time will come when they will get what’s coming to them.”

“Yes, I understand, but who are they?”

“The gentleman with the dark hair is John McBain, and the other gentleman is Todd Manning.” Kipling watched Mitch for any signs that would indicate his recognition of the names or faces. He saw a look of disgust on Mitch’s face at the mention of John McBain but a look of bewilderment and could that possibly be fear at Todd Manning’s name. Interesting.

Mitch looked at the men as they left the compound he felt a moment of anger and disdain for the man known as John McBain, but the gentleman known as Todd Manning made him very uncomfortable. In his mind, another face popped up for that name and it wasn’t the man in the yard. Yet as he looked at the man now leaving, he couldn’t help feeling a shiver run through him. Something was terribly wrong, that man should not be. The devils were among them and that man was one of them. Mitch paled and turned, leaving the monitor. Blasphemer, defiler, you will burn in hell. The voice yelled in his head, Mitch hurried to his Alison knowing he could quiet the voice if he could get to her.

Ivan looked back at the screen. “You scare him, Mr. Manning. Thank you. You’ve given me something I can use to mold him to my way of thinking.”

***

McBain glanced over at Todd, he had been concerned when he had seen Todd on the porch at the compound. He knew that Todd had been hoping to finally slay his demons, but it hadn’t happened. Now he couldn’t help wondering what was going through Todd’s mind.

Todd had managed to pull himself together and was holding in his anger. Still, his thoughts were a jumble of memories. As hard as he tried, he couldn’t get Mitch’s leering face out of his head. In an effort to dispel the images going through his head, Todd turned to John. “John, do you seriously think Bo’s going to have any success in finding those three? They’ve managed to elude you guys since New Years.”

“Do I think they’ll try and get away by the usual avenues? No. You’re right, we made a mistake and they’ve been living right under our noses. But now that refuge is gone. They’ll have to find some other place to hide. By shutting down their escape routes, they’ll have to continue to hide somewhere close. Any ideas where they might attempt to hide now that the compound is shut down to them.”

“If it were just Mitch and Alison, I would have figured they would try and reach his disciples but with Ivan in the mix. I’m not sure. Shit, I’m still freaked out by the fact that Mitch is definitely alive.”

“Can’t really blame you there. I saw the guy go down with five bullets in him. I thought he was dead. It appears he has almost as many lives as you do.”

“I’m not going to stop looking for him.”

There was an edge to Todd’s voice that made John look over at him. Once again he saw a look in Todd’s eyes. “You can’t take matters into your own hands.”

“Watch me.” Todd stared directly into John’s eyes letting him see his resolve. “He was supposed to be dead, if I find him, I’m just going to make sure he fulfills that death certificate.”

John shook his head, but he knew Todd was in no mood to hear all the reasons he should let the police handle things. “Don’t let Bo hear you talk that way. He’ll put you in jail and tell you it’s for your own good, just to keep you out of the way.

At that comment, Todd had to laugh. “You’re probably right.” Todd found that just that little laugh brought him out of his foul mood. He couldn’t do anything at the moment. For now, he would bide his time and maybe start doing some investigating on his own. The police couldn’t stop him from doing that.

John heard the lighter tone coming from Todd and knew he had gotten through his darker mood. Hopefully, once he was back with Blair he’d drop the notion of looking for Mitch on his own.

“I’ll drop you off at The Sun. By the way, what did you tell Blair about this little excursion?”

“I told her I had a lead on a story and was going to meet with my informant. I didn’t want to alarm her about Mitch. As it is, I do have a story for tomorrow.” Todd didn’t say any more. Unfortunately for the LPD, the headline would not be in their favor.

Todd left John and headed into the lobby of the Manning building, striding towards him was the last person he wanted to see.

“I see, you’re still in trouble with the law. Let me guess, McBain caught you breaking and entering.” Kevin smirked. He had seen Todd leaving John’s car and his attire. It wasn’t too far a stretch to figure John had just released him from jail. What he was most curious about was what Todd had done? “So tell me, whose office did you go through this time?”

Todd was in no mood for Kevin. He stared at him for a moment and then just began to walk past him to the elevator.

Kevin saw red, Todd was going to ignore him. He reached out and grabbed his arm. “Hold it, Todd. I asked you a question?”

Todd stopped and looked down at the hand on his arm. All of the anger he had been holding in, took hold, and Todd reached over and with a vice-like grip took Kevin’s hand off his arm. He began crushing it, not saying a word.

Kevin looked at Todd in surprise. Then realized that Todd was in the process of breaking his hand. “What the...? He tried to pull his hand free. Todd’s anger had always been over the top, but this cold anger was something Kevin had never encountered. There wasn’t an ounce of pity in his eyes, nor was he letting go of Kevin’s hand. Kevin felt one of his fingers break and at the snap, his hand was released. “My God, you broke my finger. What the hell is the matter with you? Are you insane!” He held his hand carefully watching it begin to swell.

“Get out of here, Kevin. If you come into this building again I’ll have you thrown in jail. Be grateful you just have a broken finger. The next time you touch me, you won’t get off so lucky.” At that, Todd turned and entered the elevator to Executive suites. When the elevator doors closed he leaned against the wall.

“Did you get it out of your system?”

“Hell Samuel, I don’t know, but it felt good to crush something since it wasn’t Mitch’s neck.”

“Can’t say that I blame you. Kevin even rubs me wrong. I’ve only seen him a couple of times but I find it hard to even like the guy and I love Vicki.”

“Vicki’s eldest is an insufferable pig and a horny bastard. If anybody takes after my father I would say it was Kevin. Kevin is as faithless as they come. He loves to take women from their husbands, and then when he has them finally, he discards them. I'm happy that he lives in London. I don’t have to pretend to be nice to him around Vicki.” Todd ran a hand through his hair and took some deep breaths. “I guess he was good for something just now. At least, the anger has taken a backseat. I didn’t want Blair to see how upset I was.”

“Are you going to tell her what happened?"

“I’m not sure. She’ll be furious if she finds out some other way, so I guess I’ll have to tell her.”

“Just be honest and explain why you didn’t at first. Blair loves us. She’ll forgive you a small lie.”

            Todd exited the elevator and went to his office. It was time to let Blair know what really went on that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated