Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 21

            Later that night, Todd and Blair were sitting on the balcony, looking at the lights of Llanview down in the valley. It appeared that spring was going to be coming early if the temps were to be believed. The night was actually balmy, even though it was still March. Blair rested her head on her favorite shoulder and listened to his heartbeat. It was strong and steady, and she was glad the test had come back positive for a change. She had been so worried when he had collapsed earlier that day. He was right; they both needed to stay strong and together they could do that. “What are you thinking about?”

          “The kids, they were pretty ecstatic about the baby, especially Sam. I think he’s hoping for a boy so that he’ll finally be a big brother.” He paused, then asked, “Blair, would you let me adopt Sam?”

           Blair was stunned. She knew that Todd loved Sam and treated him just like his own, but she had never even thought that he might want to make it official. She looked into his eyes and saw how serious he was.

            “I love the little guy and I think he loves me. I know I can’t replace Jake, but this is Sam’s family. I don’t ever want him to think of himself as not one of us, or feel different when he grows up, because of who his real parents were.” He couldn’t stop the thought that crept in about his two sets of parents. Shaking his head, he continued. “You’ve been a great mother to Sam, and I want to be a father to him. In some ways, he lost his dad because I came home. I need to make it up to the little guy.”

            “Todd, do you mean it? You want to become Sam’s father, legally? I would love for you to adopt him and I bet if you asked him he’d be happy about it too.” She loved him so much at that moment but was also frustrated with him. She gave his shoulder a mild hit. “Another thing. You are not responsible for Carlo Hesser, or his hitmen. They killed Jake, not you.” Blair put her hand on his face and turned it towards her. “You were both victims of Carlo. All you did, was come home. Jake was already having problems long before. Even Michael said his implants had badly deteriorated. You didn’t do that and you were right to go after Carlo. You shouldn’t blame yourself because Carlo killed him. Carlo was after you too. I’m just grateful that with you, they failed.” She rubbed her thumb over his lips and smiled.

            Todd took a deep breath and gazed at her. He could never stop wondering how they had managed to find each other all those years ago. He had thought God had given up on him when Rebecca walked out of his life, but she had just opened the door to the one who was his true match. His life had really started taking a turn when he encountered Blair at Rodi’s. They had been two lost souls looking for company and finding it in each other. “I’ll always be grateful you let me take that seat next to you at Rodi’s. You were a light in the darkness for me. We’ve been through it all, and now we’re here with a new baby on the way. I will never stop loving you.” He leaned down and captured her generous lips. After a moment, he broke the kiss and stood, holding out his hand to her. “Come with me. Let me make you as happy as you’ve made me.”

***

              Natalie was snuggling with John after they had put Liam down. “I have a bone to pick with you.”

             “You do huh? All right lay it on me.”

             “Why didn’t you tell me about Mitch’s body going missing?”

             “I thought you had enough on your plate. After everything at the church, we went home to find your mom and dad dying on the floor. They almost died because of Alison, who was Mitch’s disciple. Everyone was reeling from the events that night. None of you needed the specter of Mitch hanging over you.”

           “I understand that, but it's been two months since then. Everybody is okay. You still kept it a secret from me.”

           “I haven’t kept it a secret. You work at the police station. I figured you would hear about it that way. There wasn’t much to say anyway. The only lead we have, we have because of Todd. I had no idea when I told him Mitch went missing, what it would do to him.”

           “Yeah well, Todd had several run-ins with Mitch before he disappeared. Mitch took Blair and threatened to kill her because he wanted me.”

            “It’s worse than that. Did you know Mitch buried him alive with your grandfather?”

             Natalie sat up horrified. “My God, are you serious?”

            John nodded. “He told me. I think it’s taking its toll on him. That’s a memory I’m sure he wished had stayed buried. I took him to the hospital this afternoon after I sent you off with those pictures to enhance. This thing with Mitch is eating at him and he won’t be able to get past it until Mitch is found.”

            “You sound like you believe Mitch is still alive?”

             “I do. I’m afraid Kipling managed to keep the son of a bitch that way somehow.”

              Natalie laid back down across John’s chest. “God, I thought we were finally rid of him forever. If he’s alive, not one of us is safe. The man’s a monster.”

              John put his arms around her and held her close. “Alive or dead, we’ll find him and I promise he won’t harm anyone in this family again.” He held her until she fell asleep.
***

            When Alison had returned from her walk that morning, she had headed straight for Kipling’s Lab.  Not bothering to knock she walked in. “We need to leave this compound.”

              Kipling looked up in anger. “You’re not supposed to bother me when I’m down here.   What’s your problem, Ms. Perkins? State it and get out.”

             “We need to leave this compound. It’s not safe.”
              “My dear, we’ve been here for over two months. Why, suddenly, has this place become unsafe?”

             “I just found out Todd Manning lives on this mountain.”

              “Indeed.  I’ve known about that since we arrived here that first night, but I’m curious how you learned about that particular bit of news?”

              Alison ignored his question and said, “Why didn’t you tell me you knew Manning lived on the mountain.  Do you have any idea how much Mitch hates him?”

“I don’t know what you’re worried about my dear. You know perfectly well Mitch doesn’t 
have his memory back.”

           “True, but he’s getting a little more back every day. If he finds out Manning is here, I’m not sure what he’ll do.  Not to mention, if they figure out we’re here, we’re sunk.”

          “My dear, I’m not moving simply because you’re worried about Manning. They haven’t bothered us, I don’t even think they even know anyone is here at the compound. Until we see some signs that they know that we are up on the mountain, I should be left alone. Maybe you should be more careful when you go shopping. You’re the one outside, not us. Did you do something, my dear? Something you shouldn’t have? Is that how you found out Manning was here on the mountain?”

          Alison turned away from his piercing eyes. She did not want to admit that she had possibly given away their secret. “All right, whatever you say,” she said, “but I think we should be more vigilant. And I think we should look for another place. I’m going to go fix dinner.”

           Ivan watched her leave the lab. “Foolish woman. I knew we were wrong to trust you for very long. Still, you may be pregnant with Mitch’s child. I guess I have to keep you around a little longer. Now, a talk with Mitch is overdue. You’re still gullible enough to believe he does not have his memory back."

    

   
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated