Total Pageviews

Friday, March 23, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 23

            Alison had been pretty quiet, ever since she had found out about Todd Manning living on the mountain. She had spent the evening the night before trying to get Mitch to agree to a simple marriage ceremony and he had proven resistant to her, saying they had all the time in the world. Of course, then they had made love and by the time he was through with her, she would have agreed to leap off a mountain for him.

            Now in the clear light of day, Alison realized it would only be a matter of time before someone came searching the mountain. After breakfast, she headed down to Kipling”s lab. This time she knocked.

Ivan looked up at the interruption, it could only be Alison again. He debated ignoring the knock but then decided he’d let her come in. He needed to talk her into letting him care for her if she was truly pregnant, it was the only way he would be able to stay close to the child.
“Come in.”

           “Dr. Kipling, I think we need to really talk about the fact that we should move away from here. Sooner or later the police are going to remember this place and check it. Mitch is well enough now for us to go our separate ways.” Alison moved to stand next to Ivan. “You’ve done all you’ve can for Mitch, and I know you’ve been in contact with your partners. I’m sure you have all sorts of places you can go.”

          “Well yes. That’s true my dear, but actually Mitch is a long way from fully healed and I need to monitor him a little longer. In fact, I have a feeling you’re going to need me also. Did you really think I wouldn’t notice that some of my serum had been used without my permission? I believe you too, are carrying some of my little fellas and if I’m not mistaken you’re trying to get pregnant. What better way to tie Mitch to you.”

Alison paled. “You won’t tell Mitch!”

“Oh no my dear, on the contrary, I would like to offer you my services. Let’s find out if you’ve managed your little miracle. But let me also alleviate your worries about being discovered here. Come with me.” He led her back outside the door and walked to the other side of the room. He then touched a panel wall that moved to reveal some buttons. Pushing them, He and Alison turned to watch as a paneled wall moved to cover the opposite wall completely, hiding the entrance to the lab.

Alison went up to the wall and it was a match for the rest of the room. There was no way to tell there was a hidden room behind it. Even tapping on it produced the same sound like all the other walls. In fact, it merely looked like this room had been designed to be Carlo’s haven from the rest of the compound. It was even complete with security monitors which were once again operating.

“You see Alison, I knew the police might finally remember this place. The perimeter alarms have been reset and if they come close, we’ll have time to hide. They’ll never find the lab. They didn’t the first time. Now, what do you say, shall we find out if you’re pregnant?’

Alison breathed a huge sigh of relief. She had more time. She looked at Kipling and knew he had saved Mitch, and he was right, she did have his nanobots roaming around in her body. “Yes, let’s find out. I want to be able to tell Mitch if it’s true.” Of course, she’d only tell Mitch when she had him married to her. It was time to get to work finding a minister to marry them.

They went back into the lab, and a short time later Alison emerged. She began humming again and ran up the stairs. She was carrying Mitch’s child and all was better. If the police came they would hide until they left. She began making plans for that eventuality. She would have to make the police think that they had abandoned the compound in a hurry.

***

Bo listened to John, “You two really think Kipling and Alison are at Carlo’s compound?”

“That’s got to be where they went. It makes sense. Todd told me his reporter, who was inside Kipling’s organization, was around at the time of Carlo’s disappearance from Philadelphia.  According to his reports, Kipling supplied the compound. If they are there, it explains how they drop off the map so quickly.”

“Get a squad together, you have no idea if you’re going after three people or if you’re going to face Mitch’s disciples too. Manning, I can’t let you go. You‘re not law enforcement.”

“Then you better deputize me, Bo, because I’m going no matter what.” At Bo’s and John’s look of utter surprise, he said. “I’ve got a new baby on the way. I’m trying to live by the rules. Bo, you know what Mitch did to me. I’ve got to face him. If I’m with you, I think I’ll be able to control my urge to kill him.” Todd realized how close his demon was at that moment and knew he had to reel in the anger. There was no way Bo would let him go if he thought Todd was dangerous. He closed his eyes and took a couple of deep breaths.

John and Bo watched as Todd’s aggressive posture changed. They knew he was back in control at his next words.

Todd looked at Bo, this time he merely said. “Please, Bo,” and waited for Bo’s decision.

Bo looked over at John. “It’s your show.”

“Go ahead Bo, I trust him.”

“I never thought I’d ever do this. This is really out of the ordinary, and only until they’re captured.”

“You’re kidding me, you think I really want to do this. But whatever, let’s do it.”

“Very well, raise your right hand. Do you solemnly swear to uphold the laws of this state and obey the commands of your superior?”

“I do.”

“I hereby deputize you. Todd Manning, temporarily putting you under the leadership of Lieutenant John McBain. You are now sworn in and can go and assist during this raid, but you must follow John’s orders. Understand Manning?”

“Hey, Bo, do I get a badge?”

“Get out of here Manning. And behave yourself. John, I want updates.” At that, both John and Todd left the office.

John’s first order of business was to get his officers for the raid. “Todd, have you got a change of clothes because you’ll stand out a mile in that business suit? It’s going to take just under an hour to get this organized. Meet me back here in forty-five minutes. If you’re not here I’ll leave without you.”

“I’ve got other clothes at the office. I’ll be here John. You know, if you try to leave without me, I still know the way to the compound. You won’t keep me from there.”

John nodded, “Yeah I know, but I want to make sure you don’t get shot accidentally by a cop who doesn’t know you, so be here.” John watched as Todd took his leave and walked back into his office. Natalie was still sitting there.

“John, did Bo give his permission for the raid?”

“We’re headed up there in less than an hour. I’ve got to get this organized. You should probably get back to your job. I’ll let you know what we find later.”

“Wait, John. What about Uncle Todd? I saw him leave. Were you and Bo able to talk him out of going with you?”

“He insisted he was going, so Bo made him a temporary deputy.”

“You’re kidding, right? Todd, an officer of the law. That’s so wrong on so many levels. You’re telling me Todd agreed to that?”

“Not only did he agree, he actually suggested it. He told us he had a new baby on the way and he was trying to play by the rules.”

“Whoa, Todd and Blair are expecting again? It does kind of put a different perspective on things.” Natalie mused. She looked at John again and said “So this is happening today? You’re going to be careful. Right? You have a son and me to come back to, remember?”

“I’ll be careful.” He gave her a light kiss since they were at work and headed out to the squad room to get things underway.

***

Todd arrived at The Manning building and parked in his slot. Once in the elevator, he leaned against the wall taking deep breaths. “God, Samuel, I don’t know how I held it together at the police station. He’s been within miles of the house all this time.”

“I know Todd, take it easy. You still don’t have any proof he’s really alive. You could get up there and just find Alison and Kipling.”

“You don’t believe that. I know you’re trying to look at the whole, he was shot five times thing, but we both know what Kipling is capable of. No, all three of them are there and I’ll face him. I want him to see me and realize he failed all those years ago. “

“What are you going to tell Blair? She will try and stop you.”

“I know but I can make her understand and I’m going in with John so at least she’ll know I’m playing by the rules.”

“I think you’re wearing rose-colored glasses right now brother if you think that will keep her from reading you the riot act.”

Todd straightened up and prepared to get off the elevator. “Well, I guess it’s time to find out just how mad she’s going to be,” he made his way to his office and opened the door to find Blair already working. She was beautiful and was engrossed in something and didn’t know he was there. Over the years, she had become very proficient with all things pertaining to The Sun, and she was positively glowing today. He stood there just watching her, not wanting to disturb her and reveling in the fact that she was his.

Blair suddenly felt like she was being watched and turned to find her husband just standing across the room. A wave of heat ran through her at his gaze, and she knew she was blushing. “I have to go, just print it the way I told you to.” She hung up. “Hi.” He made her weak in the knees just looking at her like that. She gave a quick tug at her skirt to straighten it and rose, walking around the desk toward him. “You’re late.” She licked her lips and his eyes dropped to them and then lower before slowly coming back up to meet her gaze. She stood now directly in front of him and without a word he reached and pulled her into his embrace. Blair melted into his arms, as their lips met.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated