Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 22

          Kevin was upset. Nothing he said was getting through to his mother. He couldn’t believe that she had fallen for Todd’s lies again. Now, on top of everything else, Joey seemed to have also gone over to Todd’s side. What was wrong with his family? He had lost two days and still hadn’t had a chance to talk to Kelly. Sooner or later, she was going to realize she was just infatuated with Joey. He walked into the library just in time to hear Joey and Clint talking.

         “Joey I think it’s an excellent opportunity. Of course, we’ll miss you at Buchanan Enterprises if you choose to take it.”

        “What’s this brother, you thinking of leaving the fold? You really think making a job move right now is a good idea? You and Kelly just got back together. Where’s this so-called job at anyway?” Kevin inquired.

        “I have an offer to be the photography editor in chief for an international subsidiary. I’ll be based out of Paris,” replied Joey, folding the contract up.

        “Photography, huh. I thought you gave that up years ago. Who on earth offered you a job like that?”

         “The owner of the subsidiary made the offer. I think it’s time I stood on my own two feet again, and this is something I love doing. Besides if you recall, I was pretty good back when we both started working for The Banner. The guy remembered my work.”

        “Hey that’s great, but Paris makes for a long-distance romance with Kelly in London and all. You sure you want to do this?”

        “Actually, it was a combined offer. You see, Kelly will be joining me in Paris. She’s the new International Managing Editor.” Joey watched his brother, he knew Kevin had flown all the way to Llanview in an effort to try and win Kelly back for himself, but he also knew it was futile. In a way, he felt bad for Kevin. He had never seemed happy with any of his choices for a very long time and his animosity towards Todd and Todd’s apparent successes, colored his perceptions. Kevin refused to move on with his life. He still blamed Todd for allowing him to be put on trial for rape. Even though he had been exonerated by Marty, it had galled him when Todd had been released, and then they had found out he was their uncle. It seemed there would always be bad blood between the two of them.

          “What do you mean, Joey? Kelly didn’t say anything to me about a new job before she left London. The only offer I knew about was the one from Todd asking her to come back here and work.”

           “Yes, well that offer was taken off the table, but this other one appeared and Kelly and I talked it over and we’re going through with it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to sign this and send it back to make it official. Kelly and I will be headed home to London in a few days to settle everything up there, before making the move to Paris. By the way Dad, I hear C.J. is bringing his wife over today. Kym’s a doll. I think you and Mom are going to love her. Kevin, I’ll talk to you later.” Joey left before Kevin could ask any more questions. He really wasn’t in the mood for an argument about Todd.

           Kevin watched his brother leave. He hadn’t found out the name of the company Joey and Kelly were going to work for, but it was international, it was probably a sound business move. Still, he didn’t like the idea that they were moving to Paris. “So Dad, you got a look at the contract. Is it as good as Joey made it sound?”

          As soon as Kevin had entered the conversation, Clint had settled down on the sofa with The Banner and had just kept one ear on the discussion. He was proud of the way Joey kept his cool and had ignored the slight, from his brother, about his talents. “It's a great offer. You and I know he hasn’t been happy at B.E. This is his chance to prove himself, and I’m all for it.”

           “Is this one of our competitors? I wasn’t aware of any major changes going on in the publishing world.”

          “It’s a competitor, but I can’t offer Joey or Kelly, either one, what they're being offered. The offer is genuine and I think the world is a big enough arena to let the two of them venture out of the family business. I’m actually looking forward to what the two of them will produce.”

         “Wow, it must be some offer to hear you talk. Can’t say I’m too happy about the move to Paris. I’ll have to have a chat with Kelly about Zane.”

         “Kevin, if she moves him to Paris it won’t be that hard for you to see him. Who knows, she might let him continue to stay in the boarding school and continue the current arrangement you both have. One thing you need to remember, she’s his mother. The final say will be hers.”

         Kevin frowned, if he had remarried Kelly after returning to London, he would have had more rights where Zane was concerned, but so much had happened. He had needed space and Kelly had given it to him. Now Kelly’s heart was back with Joey and it looked like he had lost out in the love department once again. “So Manning pulled his offer out from under Kelly huh. I’m not surprised, the man is sadistic. He got her hopes up and dashed them. I don’t understand why Blair stays with the guy. He doesn’t sound like he’s changed all that much to me, even though Mom keeps singing his praises.”

           Clint had been waiting for Kevin to start one of his rants about Todd. It bothered him that Kevin wouldn’t let go of his hatred. At times, he saw something in Kevin that was ruthless and feared he had more of Victor in him than Vicki realized.

          “I really don’t want to get into Todd Manning with you today. But I think your hatred of him is unhealthy, Kevin. Even Joey admits Todd is a different man than he was in college.  C.J. won’t hear a word against him because he saved C.J.’s son and daughter down in Savannah. Even Bo and Nora have found a way to let bygones be bygones, but you’ve refused to budge and open your eyes to the changes.”

“Dad, I keep telling you, he’s got all of you hoodwinked. The man was a self-serving jerk in college and he’s no different now. To him, it’s all about perceptions. He wanted mom to believe he was damaged just like her, so he invented alters and I know you keep telling me they’re real, but I still say he’s playing you. You seriously believe Peter Manning abused him?”

“I know what your mother told me. No, I haven’t read the file, but I know your mom was with him during one very intense therapy session and he almost died during it. Your mother wouldn’t lie to me about something like that. Kevin, you have blinders on. You don’t want to see the difference because then you have nothing left to hate him for and you hate him because he has everything you’re missing.”

Kevin stared at his father like he had grown horns. “You’re losing it, dad, what does he have that I’m missing? I have a good life. I’m respected in the business community. He’s just a rich man’s son who was handed everything on a platter when he found out about his inheritance. He stole good people from The Banner to get The Sun underway. He used Mom’s illness for fodder to feed the masses. Then he had the audacity to use it again to get off for kidnapping fourteen people. Nothing he has ever done has shown me he had any remorse for any of it. What could he possibly have, that I don’t?”

“Yes well, he was a monster when he was young. There’s no denying he was brash and arrogant, but he’s paid in more ways than you could imagine, just in the last year. Kevin, you need to take a step back. Your hatred is affecting you more than him, I know what that kind of thing can do to you. I almost destroyed my relationship with your sisters and my brother because I was mired in my hatred. Let the past go Kevin.” Clint put his paper down and really tried to connect with his son.

“Drop it, dad. You’ll never convince me that Todd could change in a million years. He’s scum and I’ll never understand why Blair and his kids can stand him. C.J.’s adoration of him is ridiculous. Todd saved his kids. How, by writing those articles? Give me a break. Just because he exposed a human trafficking ring doesn’t mean he got down and dirty with those guys. Todd wouldn’t dirty his hands getting in the middle of that filth.”

“You’re wrong Kevin if you had stuck around and talked to C.J. yesterday you would have heard the whole story about Savannah. According to your nephew who was there, by the way; Todd single-handedly, while blind no less, managed to elude a number of guards and kept them occupied, so he could get his daughter Lily out of their clutches.”

Kevin looked at his dad. “Now I know you’re kidding. Todd would never put himself in danger that way.”

Clint began to get angry. “Now, you’re calling your nephew a liar and I won’t have it. C.J.s young daughter was kidnapped and endured several months in those criminals’ hands. She is only thirteen years old. If Todd hadn’t found out what was really going on at that dock, she would have been delivered into slavery in a foreign country. He and C.J. chose to get her out on their own, and the next night he aided in the release of the rest of the girls, along with John McBain. If you don’t believe me or C.J., talk to John. Get your head out of your ass and admit you’re wrong about the guy.” Clint threw up his hands. “If you can’t, then go back to London. At least you won’t have to listen to people sing his praises.” At that, Clint got up and left the library, leaving Kevin sitting in stunned silence.

***

Blair, Todd, and the boys rode into town together.  Sam had all sorts of questions about when the baby was going to get there, and Blair told him he would have to be patient. After dropping the boys off at their respective schools, Todd said. “Williams, you can drop me off at the police station and take Mrs. Manning on to the Sun.”

Blair looked at him. “Remember what Larry said about stress. Don’t linger at the station. I don’t want you getting upset about Mitch right now. Just think about me and the baby. Please!” the car pulled over to let Todd out and he turned to her.

“You are more precious to me than the air I breathe.” Todd put his hand on her stomach and leaned over and gently kissed her. “I never stop thinking of you,” he opened the door and stepped out. “Williams, get her to The Sun safely.”

“Yes, Sir.”

Todd watched as the limo pulled away, and then entered the station. He arrived at John’s office and noticed Natalie and John studying something. “Please tell me that has something to do with my pictures.”

Natalie jumped, neither had heard him enter. “As a matter of fact, Uncle Todd, it does.”

“Well don’t keep me in suspense. Were you able to enhance the shots? Did we get a face that could be recognized?”

John knew Todd was getting worked up again and said. “Take it easy, we identified her but you’re not going to like it. Maybe you should sit down.”

“Damn it, John, just tell me! Who the hell has been watching my house?”

“Alison Perkins,” and he handed the photo to Todd.

Todd looked at it and sat down abruptly. “That nut job who shot Vicki. That’s the person who was talking to Sam?”

“It appears so. We figured she was long gone from the area. Now we’ll have to start looking again and the mountain is our first destination. You live up there. How many small towns are scattered up there?”

“Not many and I wouldn’t even call them towns. They’re more like small communities consisting of very few residences.” Todd tried to picture the settlements that popped up around the mountain. Then he recalled one place he hadn’t thought about since last spring. He suddenly felt chilled. “There one other place on the mountain she might be hiding, and it’s not that far from my home.”

“Speak up Todd, where?”

“Carlo’s Compound.”

John frowned and walked to his desk. He had completely forgotten about Carlo’s place on the mountain. Now all he wanted to do was throw something. He looked over at Todd. “They could all be there.”

Todd nodded and cursed. He should have thought about the compound the minute Kipling was identified as the man who received Mitch’s body. Of course, Kipling would know about the compound. He had sent supplies to it, to set Carlo up. “We need to get up there.”

We don’t need to do anything. This is police business, Todd, stay out of it.”

“I’ll stay out of it after they’re all in custody and not before.” Todd had stood up again His anger contained but palpable.

John took one look at Todd and knew he wouldn’t be able to keep him out of it. The last time he had seen that look in Todd’s eyes, he had been holding an ax to a man’s neck.
He nodded, “Let’s go talk to Bo.”

            Natalie, who had been listening to this whole exchange finally spoke up. “John, you can’t let him go.” She grabbed John’s arm and whispered. “He’s in no shape to do this. What about what happened yesterday?”

           “Natalie, stay out of this,” Todd said angrily.

          “I can’t.“ She faced her uncle. “Need I remind you what happened the last time you took matters in your own hands.”

          “I’m not going off on my own this time, Natalie. But I won’t be kept out of this either.” Todd”s voice was cold.

Natalie saw the look in his eyes and realized that she was seeing the man who had terrorized Nora all those years ago. She had seen her uncle mad, even desperate, but this cold anger was something she never wanted to see directed at her. She dropped her eyes from his and turned back to John. “John?”

           “Natalie, he’s right. This is something he has to do. Leave it. Come on Todd.” He headed out the door towards Bo’s office, followed by Todd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated