Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 58

          Todd walked back around to the front of the building and entered. He chose to hang back and leaned against the back wall where he could see the whole ceremony, but be in the shadows. He watched as the church filled up with followers. He saw several of them look around, and overheard a man and a woman talking.

         “Where do you suppose the rest are?”

         “How the Hell am I supposed to know. The vans should be here by now. The Messenger is going to be displeased.”

          Todd smiled. He knew exactly what had delayed the rest of the followers. He was sure that Laurence was too much of a narcissistic egomaniac to stop his wedding because his assembly wasn’t all there. More than likely, he would proceed and plan the punishment for those not there for later. Todd looked at his watch. The ceremony was due to start in a couple of minutes. There was still no sign of John and the police. The music began. An orchestral piece played as Mitch walked up the aisle like a king going to his coronation. He stood on the platform in front of the existing minister, who was currently running The Tabernacle for The Messenger.

         Todd’s palms began to sweat and his hands clenched as he reined in his anger. Anger that threatened to overflow. It would be so easy to step out and kill him now.

         Todd, you can’t. I thought we were just going to capture him for John.

          Look at him, Samuel. He thinks he’s invincible. Here in broad daylight, he’s having a wedding. He’s laughing at the police because he thinks they have no clue where he is. I just want to wipe the supercilious look off his face.

           I know what you mean, but you need to be patient.

           The music changed and the congregation turned to the back once more to watch the arrival of the Maid of Honor. As she began to walk down the aisle, Todd did a double-take. It was Natalie, but she looked totally different. The most striking difference was the platinum blonde hair. It was the first time he actually saw a distinct resemblance to Jessica. They had never even thought of the possibility that Mitch would order her to change her hair color. The other thing that bothered him was that she was taking part in the wedding. Just what had Mitch done to her? She finished her walk to the front and made a small deferential bow toward Mitch before taking her place to the side. Todd’s eyes narrowed as he saw the possessive look Mitch gave Natalie and the adoring look she gave him.

More ostentatious music played, as the bride began her walk up the aisle. Todd kept his eyes on Mitch, afraid he would disappear. There’s no way you’re getting away this time. The bride joined Mitch and the ceremony began.

“We gather here today to unite The Messenger to his Handmaiden. If anyone knows of a reason why these two should not be joined together. Let them speak now or forever hold their peace.” The minister intoned and Mitch glared around the church, daring anyone to speak up. “The Messenger and his Handmaiden have prepared their own vows. Ms. Perkins, you begin.”

Alison turned to face Mitch. “I, Alison Perkins, take you Michael Lazarus Laurence to be my lawful wedded husband. I adore you, Mitch, I have since you first talked to me all those years ago and let me help you. You make me feel alive. You are a great man and I know what you are capable of and I’ll help you show the rest of the world just how wonderful you are. I will follow you no matter what and I want only to serve you and give you the child you’ve wanted for so long. I will love and obey you as long as we both shall live.

Listening to Alison worship the ground Mitch walked on, turned Todd’s stomach. Lady, you’re as nuts as the man you’re marrying. The vows continued as Mitch said his.

“I, Michael Lazarus Laurence, take you Alison Perkins to be my lawful wife. You have proven to me your worth. I trust you with my life. When I awoke, God opened my eyes to you, my true partner. I had no memory, but you were beside me, taking care of me and giving me everything I asked for. You understand me in a way no one else could. As God is my witness, I will bind you to me. To have and to hold, for better or worse. You are mine for all time, this I vow before this congregation.”

If Mitch looked possessively at Natalie, the look he gave Alison bordered on clear obsession. Alison was his prize and no one was allowed to have her, but Mitch himself. It was fascinating to watch. Both Mitch and Alison were totally into each other and they looked like they wanted to tear each other’s clothes off at that very moment. Sorry to ruin your wedding night, Laurence, but you two are soon to be parted. Todd felt for his gun, the minister was about to pronounce them man and wife.

“I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

Mitch and Alison kissed, oblivious to the congregation. As all watched in satisfaction for their Messenger and Handmaiden, Todd moved out into the aisle and began walking towards them. Removing the gun, he fired in the air, getting everyone’s attention. “Bravo! Frankenstein’s Monster and his Bride. Will wonders never cease? Enjoy the kiss, that’s the last you two will be seeing of each other for a long time.”

Mitch and Alison came out of their kiss in stunned silence. The light coming in the Tabernacle seemed to backlight Todd as he advanced like an avenging angel towards them. Alison gasped as she watched Todd lower his gun and take aim. Stepping in front of Mitch she yelled. “Please! Don’t Shoot The Messenger!”

Todd came to a halt staring at Alison and realized she was pregnant. “Move out of the way, Alison.”

“Mr. Manning, it has been a long time. I’m honored you decided to attend my wedding.” Mitch stared down at Todd, his voice dripping with sarcasm, as he used Alison as a shield. “How is that beautiful wife of yours? She and I had such a lovely talk the other night. You might as well drop that gun. I know you won’t hurt a pregnant woman.”

At the mention of Blair, Todd’s anger flared to life. His hand never wavered and his voice turned menacing. He looked Alison up and down and grinned at her evilly. “Why not? It didn’t stop you when you beat and raped my wife. I’ll just take out your new bride and her demon seed and let you see how it feels to see the one you love destroyed.”

Mitch frowned as he realized the man in front of him was different from the man he remembered. This man was indeed capable of killing Alison to get to him. “Natalie, protect The Handmaiden.”

Todd watched in horror as Natalie put herself in front of both Alison and Mitch. “Natalie, what are you doing?”

“I must protect The Handmaiden. She is the chosen of The Messenger. You shall not hurt them.”

“Natalie, you’re not thinking clear, I’m your uncle. Alison shot your mother. Think about what you’re doing.” He looked around at the faces of the congregation and realized they would soon break free of their surprise and take him down if he didn’t let them know who they were fighting for. Never taking his eyes or gun off Mitch and the women, he spoke to the assembly. “Let me tell you about your precious Messenger. This is not God’s prophet. He’s nothing more than an opportunist and a rapist. He took an innocent woman out into the woods several nights ago and beat her until she was almost dead, then he brutally raped her and left her there. Are those the actions of God’s Messenger? This is a man who attempted to rape his own daughter just to get an heir. He deserves to die, not be worshipped.”

Natalie looked back at the man she was protecting and his wife. Was she wrong?

Alison saw that Natalie was wavering and spoke in low tones to her. “Heed The Messenger, this man is telling lies.”

Natalie immediately became obedient to the suggestion and said. “You lie. The Messenger is good. He loves us all. He’s given me babies so I’ll no longer be alone.”

John entered the Tabernacle just as Natalie was speaking. He took in the tableau and ordered his men to surround the congregation. “Todd, put down the gun. We’ll take it from here.”

“No, John, he has to die. Sending him to prison just gives him another chance to escape.” Todd’s voice was cold and John knew he was near the end of his rope. “Natalie, I’ll only say this once more. Move out of the way. The man is a monster and needs to be destroyed.”

John looked up in surprise, he hadn’t realized it was Natalie standing in front of Alison and Mitch. “Natalie?” She looked different and she was protecting Mitch. He was stunned, and he remembered what she had just said as he entered the church. The bastard had gotten her pregnant.

Alison sized up the situation quickly, she had seen the police making their way into the Tabernacle. They would need a diversion if they were going to make their escape. She remembered Natalie’s dream and got an idea. Dropping her bouquet, she reached up and unzipped Natalie’s gown and then whispered to her. “Heed the Messenger. Go to your secret lover, Natalie. Show him how much you love him. Give yourself to him.”

Natalie’s eyes glazed over at the suggestion and suddenly she saw her dream lover standing in front of her. She let the gown drop to the floor and began walking towards John. The congregation gasped as all eyes fell on Natalie as she shed her slip next, and sidled up to John in nothing but her bra and panties and embraced him. Even Todd was so shocked by his niece’s actions, that he let the gun drop and took his eyes off Alison and Mitch for a second..

Alison quickly looked at her husband. Mitch smiled at Alison’s diversion and grabbed her hand as they backed up slowly and then disappeared to the back room of the Tabernacle.

Todd suddenly realized what he had done and looked back at the platform just in time to see Alison and Mitch slip away. “NO!!!!” He immediately bounded up the stairs to follow them.

John was startled by the unusual actions of his fiance, but quickly recovered. “Natalie, stop!” He shook her and she looked at him dazed and confused. He then saw Todd rush away. He took off his jacket and covered Natalie and handed her to Brody who had joined him.“Brody, get Natalie dressed, and hang onto her.” He then followed Todd.

Todd entered the back room in time to see Alison and Mitch opening the locked door. “Stop or I’ll shoot.” To his dismay, Alison shoved Mitch out the door and then blocked it.

“Go ahead, shoot. He’s free, you won’t get him, if I have anything to say about it.”

John just rounded the corner to the back room as a gunshot went off. He rushed in and found Todd holding the gun limply at his side. Alison was leaning against the door, her eyes looking at the hole about five feet away from her, in the wall. Noting Todd’s posture and the fact that he no longer had the gun covering Alison, he walked over and took the gun from Todd’s hand. “Where’s Mitch?” He put a hand on Todd’s shoulder and Todd finally focused on him.

“She let him escape.” Todd said wearily, all the anger had drained from him with that shot.

“He’s a madman. He tried to kill me.” Alison said as she got her wits about her.

John looked at Alison and motioned her away from the door. Several other officers entered the room, as the gunshot had been heard out in the main church. “Stay put Mrs. Laurence, you’re under the arrest for kidnapping Natalie Banks and the attempted murder of Victoria Banks.” He nodded to the officers who proceeded to handcuff her. “Gentlemen, take her out of here.” He kept his hand on Todd’s arm. “I take it your finger slipped just a minute ago, luckily only the wall received some damage. Not smart,Todd. What would Blair and the kids have done, if you had hurt Alison?”

Todd shook off John’s hand. “You know I would never hurt a child. Alison might deserve it but her child doesn’t.” He raised his hand and ran it through his hair and looked over at John. “Please tell me, you had men surrounding the building?”

“We only had the front blockaded The plans for this place didn’t include a back entrance.”

“Damn.” Once again Todd was faced with the Llanview Police Department’s ineptitude.

“He’s in the city, there’s no way he’ll get out of town unseen.” John said.

“Yeah, right.” Todd walked bleakly to the back door and opened it. He reached for his cell and called his reporter. “Where are you?”

“I’m in my car doing what you asked.”

“Talk to me.”

“A guy in a tux ran out the back door and a black van I didn’t notice, drove up to him and picked him up. I saw an old guy in the driver’s seat. I hopped into my car and managed to find the van again in the traffic and I’m following it. Uh oh. “

“What do you mean Uh oh? You better not lose that van.”

John walked over to where Todd was talking and listened in. “Hold it. What’s going on?” He grabbed the phone out of Todd’s hand. “This is Lieutenant McBain, who am I talking to and what van are you following?”

Todd yelled, “Go ahead and answer him, Jones.”

John listened for a few minutes then asked. “Can you get a view of the license tag?”

“I can’t, I think they realized I’m following them. Oh, no, I lost them. The boss is going to fire me.”




1 comment:

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated