Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 55

             Vicki had been gone for about an hour. Todd reached over and stroked Blair’s head. She laid there quiet and unmoving except for her eyelids blinking occasionally. “You came to Paris and found me, waking me from my forced slumber. Why can’t I do the same for you? I love you, Blair. Give me a sign, you know I’m here.” He touched her bruised cheek where Mitch had hit her. His hand clenched into a fist as he wished he could return the favor and beat Mitch to a pulp. He opened his fist and set his hand over her heart. It was beating strong. “You are my heart, as long as you’re around, I’m around. Babe, you rest. I’m not giving up on you. I’m sorry I brought you into my dark world, but I'm going to do whatever it takes to bring you back to a happier one. One where the worst thing we have to face is who we’re spending Thanksgiving with - Dorian or Vicki.”

Todd’s hand moved to Blair’s tummy and began rubbing in circles. The child kicked in response to her father’s touch. “Our kid is waiting to be born. I can already picture her. Yeah, Starr told me it was a girl. I have a confession to make. You remember when you named the baby Herm, I thought that was the silliest name. But it got me thinking. I don’t know why, but I had a feeling you’ve been carrying another girl so I looked up some girls' names.  I found one I liked, it means beautiful, or precious.  It’s Alanna. Think about it, will you?”

He felt so frustrated. Starr and Vicki had both tried to get through to Blair. Nothing seemed to be working. Todd ran his fingers through his hair, moving it from in front of his eyes, and thought of all the times she had pushed it off his face. What he wouldn’t give for her hand to reach up just then. “Blair, I need you. Come back. Please!”

            Todd paused as the night nurse came in and changed out Blair’s IV. Although annoyed at the interruption, he moved to the other side of Blair’s bed, so the nurse could finish her job. It was quiet in the room and Todd’s thoughts wandered to the man who had started everything. Mitch had bilked Peter Manning of all his money and had caused Peter to take it out on Todd who had just been a boy at the time. Then the bastard had raped his sister Vicki and had used Crazy Alison to steal his twin nieces as babies. Then he had returned from the “dead” to wreak more havoc and almost killed Natalie just to give Victor a heart. Failing to do that, Mitch had calmly watched as Victor had died and then produced a will giving all the Lord money to himself.

              “I should have killed you the first time, but I cared too much for Jessica. I won’t make that mistake again. The devil has a slot just waiting for you and I’m gonna make sure you get there.” At that moment, Todd felt closed in and the sickening stench of death all of a sudden seemed to permeate the air. He staggered back to the wall as thoughts of his nightmare threatened to overtake him. His heart was in his throat as he struggled to catch his breath. Fight it Todd! Break his hold, you need to do this for Blair. A hand touched his shoulder and he jerked back to reality, finding the nurse looking at him concerned.

             “Mr. Manning, are you all right? Maybe you should sit down.”

              Todd shook off her hand. “I’m fine. Just got a little dizzy, I need some fresh air.” Before she could stop him, he stumbled out of the room and made a beeline for the sunroom on that floor. Once there he opened an outside door and leaned against the doorway breathing in the night air. From his vantage point, he saw Llantano Mountain and tried to pinpoint Dragonheart. There it was, all lit up. His children were there. They were probably worried about their mom and settling into bed. He was sure Starr and Cole had managed to keep Sam and Jack from suspecting any problem, but they would have to find out soon. “I don’t know how I’m going to tell them. We should be there, Babe. Tucking them in, telling bedtime stories. Not sitting here in this hospital.” Todd slumped down to the floor.

            Samuel, what am I going to do?

Well for one, stop feeling sorry for yourself. It’s not going to help Blair.

Hey, that’s a little harsh.

Look, we all love her, but wallowing in misery because our life isn’t a Norman Rockwell picture, isn’t going to bring her back. Get up and go do something. Okay, she’s scared and is hiding but we can help get the one that scared her. We need to find Mitch.”

Since when did you become so pushy? I thought I was the one who always goes off without thinking first.“

Since that bastard beat Blair senseless. Todd, I was there when he brought that knife down and carved our face. He whipped Blair until he did to her what he did to us. You know there’s more you can do to help John. So tell me. Are you going to continue to wallow or are we going to do it?”

Relax, Samuel, I was just waiting until the evening shift has taken all their readings. I figure I have a couple of hours to slip out and get up to the compound. I know John is headed there, and I think if I can meet him, I’ll remember something else that Pete encountered. But you’re right, sitting here on the floor won’t help Blair.

Todd got up off the floor with a clearer head. Thanks, Samuel.

That’s what I’m here for.

Todd returned to the room, the nurse had left a plate on his tray. Obviously, she thought he had been dizzy because he hadn’t eaten. His stomach chose that moment to grumble and he couldn’t help laughing at the absurdity of the situation. I guess you’re hungry Manning. He sat on his bed and opened the plate to see a large turkey sandwich and a fruit salad. He dug in as he realized it had been a long time since breakfast. He would need his strength if he was going up on the mountain.

***

John and Brody gathered their supplies for their little excursion. They were headed up to the mountain to look around, it was strictly a fact-finding mission. As they drove up close to the access road leading to the compound, they spotted a Porsche parked just off the side of the road.

“Shit, what’s he doing up here?” John asked.

“Who?” Brody inquired

“Manning. I figured he would stay with Blair.” John parked his car and got out, sweeping the area with his eyes.

“Why the hell would he be up here?” Brody climbed out, looking over at John.

“He wants to find Mitch. I wonder where he got off to?”

“Looking for me, John?” Todd moved out from the tree he had been leaning against.

“I thought you were going to sit this one out and let me handle things,” John replied moving to join Todd.

“I figured if I came up here with you I might be able to jog my memory. I can’t do anything to help Blair right now. John, I need to do this. Either take me along or I’ll go in there by myself.”

“Manning, you should be with Blair. Let Brody and me handle this. You’re too close to the situation.”

“Oh, and you’re not? Give me a break, both of you want Mitch as much as I do. You’re both involved with my nieces, and Natalie and Liam could very well be in that compound.” Todd stared at John, daring him to deny the truth.

“It doesn’t matter, this is police business. Go back to Llanview.” John dismissed him. He nodded to Brody and they began to move into the woods.

“John, you take one more step and it’ll be a mistake.”

John and Brody looked at Todd in surprise. “You’re not threatening us are you?”

“Hell no. Brody, stop now!” Todd yelled, as Brody had started to proceed again. “You idiot, you’re about to trigger their alarm.”

Brody stopped looking down at the path in front of him, he didn’t see anything. Then, Todd was next to him. Brody and John watched as he pulled out an aerosol can and sprayed the area. Sure enough, a thin red line appeared in mid-air.

           “That’s how they know when someone’s in the area.  I’m guessing Mitch and Kipling were ready for us when we came up here the last time.  It’s also how they were able to get away before we reached the compound.” Todd swung his flashlight and revealed the sensors strategically placed in the forest. “I remembered them tonight as I drove up here.  It seems I did my own reconnoitering up here last year.” Todd and John exchanged a look, “ I’m just sorry it took me this long to recall it.”

            “Any other surprises we should know about?” asked John.

            “Yeah, Carlo had cameras set up nearer to the compound, so he could see who his intruders were. So, are you going to let me help?”

             “Yes, just remember I’m in charge.” At that, they all step over the sensor and moved into the woods. They kept an eye out and as they neared the perimeter gate of the colony they encountered a second set of sensors. They slipped past them and found themselves outside the fence. “Great, we can’t enter without a warrant.” John replied, “What now?”

            “The only choice we have is to search the perimeter and hope we come upon something that’s outside the fence. Just stay clear of it. The cameras I spoke of are just inside. Look, I’ll go this way, you guys go around the other direction. That way we can cover more ground at once.” Todd said.

            John grabbed Todd’s arm. “You’re coming with me. Brody can go by himself. If he finds something, he can let me know on the walkie.”

            Todd shrugged “Whatever.” He shook loose of John’s hand and started walking in the direction he had been headed. Todd was quiet as he maneuvered through the brush. There had to be something out farther than the main house. If there was a sub-basement it had to get its air someway. He and John had been walking about twenty minutes when Todd heard what sounded like music. He wondered if he was just imagining it. He never really trusted his hearing anymore. “John do you hear something?”

           “Yeah it sounds like music, but it’s muffled.”

           “It’s not coming from the compound, it’s not the right direction. It sounds like it’s coming from over there.” Todd headed in the direction of the music and it began to get a little louder.

            John followed Todd and together they entered a small clearing. It was weird because the music now seemed to expand and fill the air but there was no one around. It was then that John spotted it. At first sight, it looked like a grouping of boulders, but as he neared it, he saw the vent cleverly camouflaged. The music was coming from the vent. “This is it. We’ve got them!”

             Todd nodded and looked toward the compound. He suddenly remembered walking into the main house with a number of men and seeing them head for the fireplace. Todd turned back to John. “I know how to get into the sub-basement. I remember.” Just then Brody radioed saying he had found another vent. John instructed him to meet them at the front gate again and he and Todd retraced their steps. On the walk back, Todd told John about the elevator behind the fireplace and how to access it. They met Brody and made their way back to the road. It was going to be a long night. They weren’t worried about anyone leaving the compound before they could get a task force together. From the sounds of the music, the inhabitants of the colony weren’t too concerned about capture. They seemed to be having quite a party down below.

            ***

           Todd got back to the hospital and quietly made his way back to the room. He slipped past the nurses' station unseen. Blair lay in front of him, her eyes still unfocused and staring. Slipping off his shirt, he walked to the bathroom to clean off some of the grime from his evening. He looked into the mirror, “I found him, Samuel. He’s not going to get free this time.”

          “Don’t do anything rash, Todd. Let the police handle it.”

          “They’ll get their shot, but they better not mess this up. I owe it to Blair to make sure he’s taken down.” Todd walked out of the bathroom and over to his wife. He climbed back onto the bed next to her and wrapped her in his arms. “I’m here, Babe. I love you.” He leaned back against the pillows and closed his eyes listening to her breathing. “Everything is going to be alright.” A short time later, he drifted off to sleep.
























2 comments:

  1. Whoa.....Todd is on his game! Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch isn't going to know what hit him once Todd finds him. Can't wait for their confrontation.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated