Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 42






             Vicki and Todd were in Bo’s office when John called saying Natalie’s car was parked at the airport and according to the flight manifest, Natalie Banks, and Liam McBain boarded the flight to London. Vicki looked at both Bo and Todd. “I don’t understand? John just said Natalie and Liam boarded that flight. Why do you two both look skeptical?”

             Bo sat down. “All that tells me, is that someone, and it could have been anyone using their names, got on that plane. Natalie texted you she had gotten into a forensic conference at the last minute. The text I received asked me for permission to go to London because Roxy was sick. John’s text merely said she was going to see Rex and she had my permission. All three were bogus.”

Vicki started to interrupt, but Bo held up his hand to stop her.

“Let me finish. There never was a conference, I checked. Rex confirmed earlier that he hadn’t seen Natalie. After Todd left, he called back and wanted more information. I told him Natalie had said Roxy was ill. He told me Roxy was in Paris and doing marvelously. If you believe Natalie and Liam got on that plane, then you must believe she deliberately deceived us.”

            Vicki was outraged. “Of course not, Natalie wouldn’t do that.”

            “Exactly, so we have to figure that someone else sent the messages. That being the case, it means that the woman and child that flew to London are probably decoys. Natalie isn’t in London and hasn’t been. She was likely taken that first day.”

             “But the pictures?” Vicki looked at her brother. She could see from his stormy expression, he didn’t like the fact that there were pictures, to him it meant something else entirely.

             “Someone sent those along with all the messages to keep you off guard. We think she’s missing and has been for a week. We’re going to start searching for her, but she could be clear across the country by now. Vicki, I just want you to realize this isn’t going to be easy. Now, there is a chance the missing girls might have been taken by the same person or persons. It that’s true then they all might still be in our area. All I can do right now is begin the search.”

             Todd hadn’t said anything, standing behind his sister, he now reached out a hand and placed it on her shoulder. He could feel her trembling, but she sat there determined to be strong and just find out what was ahead. “Bo any idea where to start?” he asked.

            “If we’re lucky, hopefully, we’ll get another text or two from Natalie, one we can trace quickly. Someone went to a lot of trouble to keep us thinking she was in London. They might not know we’ve found out differently. I can now put a few extra men on the missing girls since they won’t be looking for the escapees.”

            Vicki’s asked sharply. “What do you mean you’re not looking for the escapees?”

            “I forgot to tell you, sis, our estimable mayor decided to call off the search for the convicts, but she did allow Bo to start searching for Briggs’ granddaughter. If Mitch has anything to do with Natalie’s disappearance, the mayor might as well start packing her desk now. He, Kipling, and Perkins should have been found long ago.” In his anger, he accidentally increased his pressure on Vicki’s shoulder.

           “Todd,” Vicki winced and reached up putting her hand over his.

            At his sister’s touch, Todd realized what he had done and immediately released his grip. “Sorry, are you alright?” he looked at her with concern.

            “I’m fine, getting angry at the mayor right now isn’t going to do Natalie or those other girls any good. I’m upset by the mayor”s latest stunt, but if we’re correct and Mitch has Natalie, then Bo can use the search for them to continue looking for Mitch too.”

            Todd nodded, he knew she was right. God, I hate feeling helpless. “Vicki, I need to get out of here. Do you want a ride back to The Banner?”

            “No, I want to wait and talk to John when he gets back. Are you alright?”

             “I just can’t stand this helpless feeling right now, I need some space. I need... Hell. Look I’ll see you later.” With a nod to Bo, Todd left. He reached his car and sank into his seat, the day had been one big bad revelation. It was pretty obvious now that Natalie and Liam were indeed missing and very likely in Mitch’s hands. The man was a freaking monster and Kipling was his mad scientist. He was trying hard not to think about what they could be doing to her. Todd beat his fists on his steering wheel. Damn you, Mitch.

            “Todd, breathe. I know you’re angry. We need a clear head and right now you’re all over the place.”

             At Samuel’s voice, Todd leaned his head on the steering wheel and closed his eyes. Slowing his breathing, he dropped into his mind. He found himself in Samuel’s loft. He walked toward Samuel who was sitting in his kitchen. “You’re right. How do you do it? How can you stay so calm? Right now all I want to do is get my hands around Mitch’s neck.”

             “Years of having to pace myself, I guess. It wasn’t easy for that first couple of years. I felt like I was constantly being watched, and every time I tried to figure out why I ended up in agony from the headaches. It was a question of backing off or dying. You know the choice I made. Now it’s your turn, you keep having dreams about the events of that night. I know you’re wishing you had killed him all those years ago. Wishing that hasn’t stopped the nightmares and it won’t get Natalie back. Neither will be wanting him in your grasp right now. Stop and think.”

“That’s all I have been doing. Thinking I want to kill him for what he did to me and hating him now more than ever. I’m afraid I’m going to lose it this time for sure.“

Todd, we’re not alone anymore. We have Blair and the kids, think of them. We can do this, Blair’s going to be having the baby soon. All you have to do is control the anger. You know what it is, don’t let it consume you and us.” Suddenly Todd and Samuel were interrupted by the sound of muffled pounding.

John had been alarmed when he arrived back at the station and seen what looked like a man apparently passed out in his car in front of the building. Reaching the car he realized it was Manning. “Hey Todd, you all right.” At first, there didn’t seem to be any response, and the door was locked. John was about to break the glass when he saw Todd stir.

It took a moment to get his bearings and he heard McBain outside his door. He raised his head and looked out the window. Was that concern on McBains face? Slumping back against his seat, he opened the window. “What do you want John?” He said wearily. He felt wiped out. His sleepless nights were starting to affect him.

“Todd, I was worried, you didn’t answer at first and you don‘t look so good. What happened?”

“Nothing John, I was having a chat with Samuel. Look, I’m fine, Vicki’s up there waiting to talk to you. I’ve got to get back to The Sun, articles to write, mayors to impeach.” He turned the car on.

John knew Todd was on the defensive when he got snarky. He hated to be perceived as weak. John studied his face and saw the lines and dark circles, the man was clearly exhausted, but he kept pushing himself. “I don’t think you’re fine. What happened earlier in my office happened because you’re too close to all this. You’re killing yourself, man. You didn’t take Natalie, but I can tell you’re blaming yourself anyway.” Before Todd could protest, John reached in and took the key out of the ignition. “I can’t let you drive in the shape you’re in. Call Williams or I’ll call Blair, but you’re not taking yourself home.”

Todd scowled but he knew better than to argue with McBain when he got all authoritative. He withdrew his cell and made the call. “ Williams, after you pick up Cole and Blair, come to the police station to get me.  Don’t dawdle, I don’t want to be here any longer than I have to. Satisfied Lieutenant? You better not let anything happen to this car.  I don’t think the police funds could take it right now.”

John walked around to the passenger side and got in. “I’ll wait till Williams arrives and then I’ll move the car to impound.”

“That’s not really necessary. Like I said a few minutes ago, Vicki’s up in Bo’s office waiting for you.   I think she wants to compare pictures.” Todd turned to look at his passenger. “Tell me something, you‘re a good detective, didn’t it bother you when you didn’t talk to Natalie directly. Even Vicki was bothered by that.”

“Sure it bothered me, that’s why Bo called Rex this morning. I should have done it sooner, but the messages were still coming and when the picture arrived yesterday, I pushed it to the back of my mind.”

“They’ve been gone a whole week John, do you think you can find them?”

John looked at him bleakly, “We’ll find them, but I’m afraid of what we’ll find.”

Todd closed his eyes, trying to keep his thoughts from going where John’s had already gone. Exhaustion took over and Todd drifted off.

John sat next to Todd keeping an eye on him, hoping he wouldn’t end up in the grip of a nightmare. He used the borrowed cell to call Bo and explained why he was running late. When Williams pulled up alongside Todd’s car, John exited. Blair quickly jumped out, alarmed because Todd hadn’t gotten out of the car with John. “Relax Blair, he‘s just asleep.”

***

The next couple of days brought more questions as everyone realized it wasn’t going to be easy to find Natalie and Liam. Todd had gone over to stop in and talk to Vicki trying to get a sense of where they took Natalie and when. While walking around outside the house, he stumbled on another wreath similar to the ones found at the compound and outside his own home. It told him that Alison had been at the house at some time in the past, but there was no way to pinpoint when, or how long ago, she had dropped the wreath. It was just more proof that Mitch was involved. The final proof that Mitch had them, came when Vicki and John received one final text. The message was loud and clear the “Messenger” was back.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated