Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 39

Mitch and Kipling watched as Natalie fell asleep, falling under the hypnotic suggestion of the recording. When she began to repeat the words in her sleep, Kipling made a suggestion.

“If you intend to make her the bearer of your child, we will need to lower the drugs soon. Her mind is already becoming very susceptible to them. If you keep them at this current level you risk amnesia as an effect.”

“It’s an effect I’m counting on. We’ll lower the drugs when I’m sure she’s mine. She tried to kill me. She will be fully mine, with no memory of anyone else when I’m finished. Once she is free of her past life, she will need to find something to cling to, and I and my flock will fill the void.”

Kipling looked at Mitch. The man was a fanatic, but an exceedingly brilliant one. He commanded a number of people who worshiped him and obeyed implicitly. Ivan looked at the woman on the screen. From what he could see, Mitch and Alison had already implanted suggestions that were taking root. The woman would be theirs in a short amount of time.

  That night Natalie’s conditioning went into high gear and all through the night the words filtered through her cabin. Heed the Messenger. He is your lord and master. Heed the Messenger You are his and only his. He is your savior. Heed the Messenger. He is your lord and master. Heed the Messenger You belong to him. Only he can save you.

   Natalie awoke and stretched. Her hands were no longer tied. It was the beginning of the second day of her captivity. She was disoriented and thirsty and found a bottle of water sitting on her bed stand. She reached and took a drink. Her thoughts were jumbled, but one thought was preeminent. Heed the Messenger. With hands shaking, she got off the bed and made her way to the bathroom. Slowly, like through a fog, she realized she was naked as she stood in front of the mirror. She had no memory of the previous day but felt extreme shame as she looked at herself. In her eyes she saw a woman covered in filth, her hair unkempt. I’m a tramp, unworthy of anyone, I betrayed my master. Tears began to flow, as despair filled her and she felt alone. Music was playing through the room and underneath it a whisper of words were repeating over and over. Heed the Messenger. He is your salvation.

    Natalie began swaying to the music as the drugged water took hold and soon she was repeating the words. Fully hypnotized Natalie stood there as the music stopped. She was now ready for the second day of training.

   ***

   Todd had woken up early, another short night behind him. Try as he might, the nightmare refused to give up its hold on him. He actually had begun to look forward to the daytime hours when he could immerse himself in his latest venture, the getting rid of Llanview’s Mayor. When he had been informed of her latest scheme, he had brought all the word power of The Sun, down on her. He couldn’t believe she had ordered the sale of Hesser’s compound. The fact that a nudist colony had bought it had been the very thing he needed to show his readers how incompetent she was. He was deep in thought when he felt Blair’s hand take his.  He instinctively responded in kind, intertwining his fingers with hers and looked up. “Hi.”

 “Hi, yourself. You’ve been lost in thought since we left the house. Are you alright?” Blair studied his face, his coloring was pale and she knew he wasn’t getting enough sleep. It had been almost a week since his session with Ray and they hadn’t been able to schedule a second. She knew Todd was avoiding it, but it was his decision and she would stand by him no matter what. In the last week, Todd had turned his attention to the mayor and Blair was grateful for anything that would take his mind off Mitch.

   He knew she was worried. Blair was now into her fourth month and almost halfway through the pregnancy, he didn’t want her stressing about him. “I’m fine. Just thinking about today’s editorial.” He reached to rub Herm’s little bump and leaned over, talking to his youngest offspring. “Your momma is worried about me, but she shouldn’t be. I’ve got work to do. I’m going to rid this town of the worst mayor since Alex Olanov.“ He felt a little kick and smiled up at Blair. “She kicked. I think she likes Daddy taking charge.”

    Blair had felt the kick and returned Todd’s smile. She found it endearing that he referred to Herm as a girl. She wasn’t sure herself, but the idea of another little girl was growing on her fast. “It would seem so. You say you’re going to rid the town of the mayor, but we have no idea who we’ll end up with next.”

     “Not true. I‘ve got the perfect candidate in mind and a sure win.”

      “That sounds intriguing. Care to share?”

       “Not yet, some convincing might be needed to make this person step forward, but I can be pretty persuasive.”

       Williams pulled into the parking garage and Todd, Blair, and Cole got out. “Williams, go get a coffee and be back here in about an hour,” Todd instructed, and then joined Blair and Cole in the elevator.

       After Cole got off at his floor, Blair looked over at Todd. “Where are you going in an hour?”

       “I’ve got some errands to run. I’ll be back by lunch.”

         For the next hour, Blair and Todd worked on his editorial. Then Todd planted a kiss on her and left her staring after him as he departed. Williams was waiting as instructed and Todd got in. “Take me to Llanfair.”

          ***

          Natalie was confused. She didn‘t know how long she had been standing there. She wasn’t sure what to do next. Melanie entered the room and found her charge standing still in the bathroom. “Natalie, you must heed the Messenger?"

        
  “I must heed the Messenger,” she responded. Yes, that is right he is my savior.

         
 “Excellent. Natalie, you may look at me.”

            
Natalie did as told and turned, looking at the woman in front of her.

          
 “Natalie, the Messenger commands that you clean and cover yourself, failure to do so will result in punishment. Do you understand?

          
   “I understand, I must heed the Messenger.” Natalie took the clothes offered her and proceeded to follow the commands given to her. When she was finished, Melanie continued with her instructions.

            
 “You will eat and heed the Messenger. He is here to guide you to the truth. The Messenger loves us and knows what is best for us.”

            
  Natalie ate and listened to the words of the woman sitting with her. In the back of her mind the words continued to play over and over. I must heed the Messenger He is my savior.

            
 Every few sentences Melanie reinforced the message.  Instructing and having Natalie repeat the mantra. Natalie was given simple commands to perform and under the influence of the drugs, she followed them to the letter. Then Melanie ordered Natalie to kneel and pray for forgiveness of her sins. She was ordered to remain kneeling and praying until the Messenger released her.  When Melanie had departed from the room, Alison started a new recording.  It was designed to make Natalie feel the burden of her sins.  A special drug had been added to her breakfast that would stimulate the fear centers in Natalie’s mind and make her sins seem painful.  By noon Natalie would be in agony.

Natalie was sobbing uncontrollably, the pain inside her had started shortly after beginning her prayers. She kept hearing words. Words about evil and the burden of sin. Then she began to feel her sins, they were clawing at her insides. She wanted to scream, but the Messenger had told her to pray. Her thoughts were scrambled by the drugs, and the effects were getting stronger the longer she was on them. Natalie was helpless to resist and so she prayed. “I must heed the Messenger. Forgive me for my sins.”

Mitch watched the monitor as Natalie fell further under his spell. She would soon be ready to join the ranks of his followers.

***

Vicki was frowning at the latest text from Natalie. It bothered her that Natalie had waited until the last minute to go to this conference and that she had taken Liam. She was getting ready to call her daughter when she heard the front door opened behind her. “Todd this is a surprise. What brings you by this morning?”

“I thought I’d see what you served for breakfast. I’m starting a new series of articles about publishing editors and their daily habits.” He grinned and waited for the rolled eyes. She didn’t fail him.

            Giving him her usual look, Vicki responded, “How nice. I can’t wait to read about The Sun’s publisher. I hear his habits are shockers. Would you care for some tea?”

            “No,“ he replied. She probably would be shocked by some of his habits. Blair would have made fun of his need to always wear white socks and his habit of eating with his hands. But the worst habit was his determination to not sleep. He had thought himself rid of that one until all the nightmares had started.

            Vicki took a hard look at her brother and realized something was definitely bothering him. She had learned from experience that Todd would talk about it when he was ready. “Come into the kitchen. l baked this morning. Maybe you’d like the recipe for your article.”

           Pulling his mind away from the nightmares, he latched onto Vicki’s words. She had baked. Todd perked up again, his visit was twofold and it was time to get back on track. “Hey don’t knock the article until you’ve read it. After all, it’s being written by a Pulitzer prize winner.” Todd followed her to the kitchen and waited patiently for his remark to sink in.

           “I’m sure, it will...What did you say?” She stopped, staring at him and registering the genuine smile and almost childlike joy on his face as he reached in his pocket and handed her something.

           “This is the first chance I’ve had show it to you. Not too shabby huh?”

            Vicki opened the envelope and pulled the certificate free. Her eyes teared up and she smiled at him. “Todd this is marvelous.”

He suddenly got shy again and took the certificate back. “Yeah well, I’m guessing you’ve got one or two of those around too, but hey at least when it comes to writing, I know I’m not just a flash in the pan.”

Vicki grabbed a plateful of muffins sitting on the counter and offered one to Todd.. “Actually, you’re one up on me. I’ve never been fortunate enough to receive that particular award.”

“You’re kidding right?”

“Todd, you’ve been to my office. Believe me, if I had won a Pulitzer, it would be displayed. I’m very proud of you.”

Todd bit down into his muffin, figuring it would give him time before saying anything. He held onto her words and savored them. There had been so few attaboys when he had been growing up. He could count them on one hand. It meant a lot to hear Vicki say it. He finally mumbled out a “Thanks.” and went looking for some milk to wash down the muffin, he didn’t want things to turn mushy.

“I’m glad you showed me the certificate, but I think there’s something else on your mind today. Do you want to tell me why you’re here?” Vicki inquired.

Todd reached for a glass and poured some milk. then leaned on the counter. “I’m here to talk you into running for Mayor again. I know you’ve been keeping up with my article about our dear mayor’s latest ventures. We’ve got to get her out of office.”

“Todd, you’re doing a pretty good job letting the public know about her incompetence. Why do you want me to run for Mayor?”

“Because I don’t want another idiot to take her place. Vicki, you had the mayors office in your pocket at one point, I was told. The citizens of Llanview would welcome you back with open arms. I know with your moral compass, the rate of crime around here might lessen, because you wouldn’t hamper the police.”

“Are you saying you believe Mayor Finn has been obstructing justice?”

“No, I’m saying Mayor Finn has no idea how to run a city and she was trying to put her nose in everything, including doing the jobs of the police. When that backfired on her, she pulled funding from the department claiming they were not getting results fast enough. I agree about the results but it‘s because of her interference.”

“I don’t know Todd, it’s a lot of work. I kind of like being just a grandmother. Although right now I’m down to just two grandchildren. Natalie and Liam are out of the country.”

“Probably just as well with Mitch on the loose,” Todd replied under his breath as he turned to put the milk away. When he turned back to her, Vicki was staring at him. “What? I know you know about Mitch, I would think you’d be happy Natalie was nowhere around. Hell, I’d like to be nowhere around the guy myself.”

There it was, that tone in his voice. Mitch was definitely at the root of what was bothering him. “The police will find him, Todd.” She saw his grimace and continued. “ And I’m worried about Natalie because she left so abruptly. It was just strange that’s all.”

“As long as we have our current mayor, the police have their hands tied. Vicki, please! Think about my suggestion. The Sun will back you all the way. As far as Natalie goes, she’s a big girl, Sis. It’s not like you haven’t heard from her right?”

“I haven’t talked to her, just received a couple of texts so far.”

“Well there you go, sooner or later you’ll reach her and you can stop worrying altogether. In the meantime, at least she’s not within Mitch’s reach. Look, I’ve got to go. Think about my proposal. Let me back you for mayor.” Todd gave her a quick peck and left before Vicki could protest further.

Vicki pulled out her phone again and read the last message from Natalie. She couldn’t shake the feeling something wasn’t right. Dialing Natalie, she waited and was sent to the voicemail. “Natalie, I got your texts but I would really like to hear your voice give me a call.” 

She hung up and sat down with a second cup of tea. Todd had been right, maybe it was a good thing Natalie wasn’t around since they had no idea where Mitch was. She had to smile as she thought about his request. He was dead serious about getting her into the Mayor’s office, she had been reading his editorials and she admitted he was spot on about their current mayor. “Okay Todd I’ll think about your suggestion, but I’m not promising anything.” She finished her tea and went in search of Clint to discuss Todd’s request.

              ***

             Natalie was near to collapse. The pain was rolling through her body but she continued to ask forgiveness. The door opened and he walked into the room. He stood in front of her as she bowed her head in prayer.

‘Natalie, look upon your master.”

She raised her head at the command. Because of the drugs in her system, Natalie saw a man standing in front of her with a shimmering aura around him.

“Do you wish forgiveness? Do you wish to be saved?”

“Yes.” She was mesmerized, unable to take her eyes off him.

“I can make the pain go away, but you must have complete faith in me. I am the Messenger. Do you believe?”

Natalie responded immediately. “I must heed the Messenger. He is my savior.”

“That is good my child. Here drink this, you have suffered for your sins.” he handed her some water filled with the antidote to the pain-producing drug. Then he put his hand above her forehead. “Natalie if you believe in me, I can ease your pain. You have only to swear your belief. Do you heed the Messenger?”

Natalie was caught in Mitch’s trap. In her drugged state, her mind had become a blank slate and now Mitch was filling it. She had no memory of shooting the man in front of her. All she saw was the Messenger, her savior. She cried out. “I believe. You are my savior. You can heal me.”

“It is done,” Mitch said touching her forehead and watched as the antidote worked its magic.

As the warmth spread through her limbs, the pain receded and Natalie flung herself at the Messenger’s feet in gratitude sobbing. “I will heed the messenger. He is my savior.”




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated