Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 35

            She was sitting on his lap an arm wrapped comfortably around his shoulder, looking at the certificate she held in the other. “It was a great series, Todd. Although, I still get a little mad that you felt you had to leave us to protect us. You need to promise me this thing with Laurence won’t drive you away from us.”

“You have my promise, I know now how foolish I was. You are planning to go with me when I talk to Ray, right?”

“Of course, I’m not letting you face it alone. We’re right beside you during this.” She put down the certificate and rested her hand on his as it lay across her stomach.

He entwined his fingers with hers and rubbed his thumb against hers. “When do you think you’ll be far enough along for a sonogram.”

She looked at him and smiled as he was looking down at their child. “Oh pretty soon, do you want another boy?”

“I’ve thought about it, I missed so much of Jack’s younger years, but at the same time, another little girl to cherish and love the way I do her mother, it tugs at my heart.”

Blair blinked back tears. What he said filled her with such joy. Her dear ferocious dragon had such a soft spot for little girls. She rested her head against his. “Whatever this child is will be very lucky to have you for a father. Because I know you’ll love “Herm” with everything in you.”

Todd looked up startled. “Herm?” What kind of name is that?”

“I don’t know until we know, I just thought it’s either her or him, so “Herm” came to mind.”

“You’re crazy, Babe. ‘Herm.’ I don’t know, it sounds more boy than a girl. But if that’s what makes you happy.” Touching her gently, he said. “Herm, it looks like you’re stuck with that moniker for the time being, but just know, I’m here to make sure nobody teases you. Okay?” He smiled as if hearing something, and turned to Blair. “Herm said that was fine.”

Blair laughed and hugged him.

“Hey, we need to get going if we’re going to eat before meeting with Ray. He set up a session at the Cherryvale Clinic.” Todd said abruptly.

Blair reluctantly vacated her seat and then noticed an unopened envelope still sitting on Todd’s desk. “Todd, what’s that?”

He looked where she was pointing and spotted the envelope that had come with his certificate. “I think it’s a letter from Amos, probably congratulations. I’ll read it later.”

“Todd go ahead and open it now. We’ve still got plenty of time to eat.”

Todd knew he wasn’t going to get to eat until he opened the letter. “Now see Herm, it always wise to humor your mother but be warned, sometimes you never get fed.”

Blair swatted him playfully in mock anger. “Todd!”

“What? It is the truth. Remember the second date night?” He grinned.

She blushed and said. “I guess you have a point. Come on what’s in the letter?”

Todd opened the letter and saw that it was indeed a congratulatory letter. Then he held up the second item in the envelope. “It’s a check for ten thousand dollars. It appears to be the monetary prize for the winner.” He grabbed his pen and endorsed the back, and taking a clean sheet of paper from his desk he wrote a quick note to Amos and placed the check inside. He took out an unused envelope and dropped the note and check inside and addressed it to Amos Caulfield, The Savannah Herald, Savannah Ga.  After stamping it, he grabbed it and Blair’s hand and headed out of his office. He stopped briefly at his assistant’s desk to give her the envelope with instructions to send it out certified that afternoon, then with his arm around Blair’s waist, he continued their walk to the elevator.

As the door closed on the elevators. Blair finally caught her breath. “My God, what was that all about? Why did you send the check back to Amos?”

“Blair, we hardly need ten thousand dollars, but I have a friend who worked beside me on the dock in Savannah. He got beaten up by Sid and his cronies just because he knew me. I’ve been checking and he‘s still unable to go back to work full time. I told Amos to see that Bernie and his family got the money. Now, Chinese okay with you?”

“Let’s do it. Herm loves the dumplings.” She slipped her arm through his and rested her head on his shoulder for the ride to the ground floor.

***

John got back to his office. His thoughts had been in turmoil since he had discovered that Hesser was at large. Bo walked in and read John’s mood. “Give me the bad news.”

“Hesser is alive and running free. State authorities are searching the home of the guard who was assigned to watch Hesser. It’s a pretty good certainty, he’s the one who died instead of Hesser. They’ll notify us if they turn anything up.”

“Okay, we know he’s loose. What do you think he’ll do? I’ve known Hesser a long time. I don’t think he’ll do anything without a detailed plan in place. It’s my guess he’ll go into hiding.”

“That’s what worries me, Bo. Carlo’s need for vengeance is probably paramount with him. That’s going to put Todd and Cole right in his crosshairs. So we have to add him to an already full plate since we just found out Laurence is also alive.” John looked over to get Bo’s reactions and continued. “I don’t know how much more Todd can take. I wasn’t here when Todd went on his infamous rampage through this town as a young man, but I have seen the cold dangerous man he can become if he feels his family is being threatened. I’ve got to tell you, Bo, this stuff with Mitch already has him at the edge. Now I have to tell him about Carlo.”

“Just keep an eye on him. Todd’s always been volatile, but I’ve got to admit he’s been trying hard to do things right since he returned from Paris. I would really hate to see the return of the old Todd.” Bo didn’t want to admit it, he had a grudging respect for the new Todd, but he had seen a number of signs that Todd was still capable of creating havoc. “I need to tell Nora what you found out. You probably shouldn’t wait too long before letting Todd know about Hesser.”

After Bo departed John reached for his phone, dialing Todd. Unfortunately, the call went straight to voicemail. Informing Todd would have to wait. John sat down at his desk and looked at a picture of Natalie and Liam. He understood some of what Todd was going through. Both he and Natalie had started having nightmares about Mitch. She was living at Llanfair, again because of the beefed-up security, but John still had qualms whenever she headed into work or out with Liam. Manpower was at an all-time low because of budget cuts by the Mayor so they were both vulnerable at times and John had no one he could assign to keep an eye on them.

A baby’s laughter was heard outside his door and he went to find Natalie and Liam in the office. “Hey, I thought you had today off.” He took his son from her arms. Liam rewarded him by grabbing at his hair and tugging.

Natalie smiled. “I did but I received a call from the Llanview coroner. He asked me to get everything we had on Hesser and fax it to Statesville. Any idea what’s going on?”

John looked at her. She was all aglow, having been out enjoying a day with Liam. Her eyes were sparkling and he noticed a leaf or two in her hair. “Bad news I’m afraid. Carlo Hesser appears to have made his escape from Statesville and has killed a guard in his stead.”

“Oh no. Do you think, he’ll try to join up with Mitch and Kipling?”

“There’s no telling what he has planned at this moment. I want you to start being extra careful. We’ve been unable to figure out where else Kipling and Mitch could have gone into hiding, and if all three reconnect who knows what will happen.” Liam was fidgeting and John took him into his office. “Look, I’ll keep an eye on Liam, you go take care of your business and we’ll leave together when you’re finished.”

Natalie grabbed a quick kiss from John and tousled her son’s hair. “I’ll hurry. You be good for your daddy, Liam.” and she rushed out, anxious to complete her task and get back to her men.

John closed his door and deliberately blocked them with chairs. If anyone wanted in, they would have to knock. Then he set his toddler down on the floor and grabbed some paper.   After the morning he had had, he was going to enjoy some father/son time too. He sat cross-legged on the floor as Liam explored and began making paper airplanes. Then he caught Liam’s attention and flew a plane toward him. Liam squealed in delight and began trying to chase down the planes as fast as his little legs would let him go. John’s thoughts drifted back to Mitch and he knew he would kill the man if he ever harmed Natalie or Liam.

John heard a thud and looked around as one of the chairs was bumped forward. Then came a knock. “Who is it?’

“Lieutenant, it’s me. You said you wanted any information if it concerned the compound.”

John got off the floor and strolled to the door opening it. “What have you got, Fish?”

Fish walked in and found paper airplanes strewn all over the office. Then smiled when he spotted Liam sitting on the floor happily chewing on one.

John walked over and scooped up his son. “Well don’t keep me in suspense. Talk to me.”

“Oh, sorry, John. Kids are adorable at that age.”

“Fish!” John said impatiently.

Fish started and realized he had gotten off track. “Yes, well it appears some back-to-nature nudist colony has bought the property.”

“How the hell did that happen? It should be sealed off. We’re in the middle of an investigation.”

‘It turns out the Mayor ordered all properties currently impounded by the city be sold at auction to reduce the strain on the city budget. It sold at auction this morning.”

“Damn.”

Fish frowned at John and looked at Liam.

John merely looked back at him. “I’m sure Liam has other things on his mind besides my language.”

“They’re very impressionable at that age, John.”

“I’ll remember that. You can go, Fish. Thanks for the news.” Well, one thing was for sure, Mitch and Kipling wouldn’t be going back to that compound any time soon.



1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work. Possibly you could fire mayor and put Vicki in her place though I really miss Dorian.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated