Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 2

Chapter 2

            Todd walked into the office at The Sun and hit the intercom button then realized he didn’t have an executive assistant. That was going to have to be rectified. He was still trying to get Kelly back, but Joey was being a hard sell. Still, he picked up the phone to call Kelly, uncertain if anyone had notified the family about Vicki. It was the least he could do for his nephew.
           
           “Buchanan Residence. For whom are you calling?”

           “Nigel? What the hell are you doing in London?” Todd wondered if he had dialed wrong.

           “No, Sir. This is Neville Smythe. Nigel is my cousin. Is there someone you wish to speak to?”

“Yes, I’m trying to reach Kelly Cramer or Joey Buchanan. Is either available?”

“I believe Master Joseph is here. Whom can I tell him is calling?”

“Tell him his Uncle, Todd Manning.”

“If you would like to hold on Sir, I’ll see if he’s able to take your call.“

Todd paced while he waited. He wasn’t sure if Joey would take the call or not. He wasn’t even sure if Joey knew about him, but he figured Kelly would have filled him in, now that they were back together.

“I don’t know who the hell you are. But you sure as hell aren’t Todd Manning. He’s been dead for more than a couple of months. What kind of scam are you running and why are you trying to reach my brother or his wife?” Kevin was shaking with fury. When Neville had told him Todd Manning was calling, he had reacted instantly. The mention of no other man on earth caused him to react like Manning did.

Todd frowned. The one person he had no urge to talk to ever had just yelled in his ear. “Tsk, Tsk, really Kevin, is that any way to talk to your mother’s brother? I know she raised you better than that. But wait, if memory serves, you always did jump the gun before getting all your facts.” Todd wished he could just hang up on the insufferable jerk, but he had called with a purpose, right now the issue was his sister. “Perhaps you might want to come down off your high horse long enough to find out the reason for the call.  By the way, are you even talking to Kelly these days?  For a publishing editor, you’re way behind on some crucial info.” Silence came from the other end of the line.

In London, Kevin was staring at the phone in his hand like it was a monster. There was no mistaking that voice; he hadn’t heard it in over eight years. “Damn it, Todd, what corner of Hell did you crawl out of?”

“Great, that’s settled. You figured out you are talking to Todd Manning. It really wasn’t nice to question poor Neville’s announcement. By the way, I called to talk to Joey or Kelly, but I guess you’ll have to do. Listen before you go off half-cocked. I don’t have all day to chat, but I called to let you know Vicki was shot last night and I thought you and Joey ought to know.”

“What the hell. Why weren’t we called? No one here heard anything. Is she alright?”

“I thought that was what I was doing. She’s fine, nothing vital was hit. Larry says she’s going to go home tomorrow and you’re welcome.

“Why, you....”

“What’s the matter, cat got your tongue, Kevin? Oh no, what was I thinking? You always were a little slow on the uptake.” Todd couldn’t help himself, there was something about Kevin that still brought out the snark. He had been working so hard to show people he had changed, but Kevin just managed to bring all those feelings of resentment back to the foreground, bringing him back into old habits. “Now, since I gave you the news, how about finding Kelly for me? Only a smug bastard would take someone else’s call.”
 
“You really are a son of a bitch.”

“What can I say, Kevin, talking to you just knocks out all those warm fuzzies inside me and sets me back two or three therapy sessions.” Todd could imagine Kevin getting angrier by the minute. He had missed all the little arguments. No matter what Vicki did, there would never be any love lost between him and Kevin. What really rankled him was how hard Kevin had worked to prove that he faked his alters and his catatonic state. The guy never let up throwing his past in his face. In the background of the call, Todd heard Kelly’s voice.

“Kevin, Neville said Todd called. Are you on the line with him?”

“You’re not talking to that maniac.”

“I think you should let me be the one to decide who I can and can’t talk to. Now give me the phone.”

“Todd is that you? My God, we really are out of the loop here. Why didn’t Blair let me know you were out of the coma?” Kelly glared at Kevin, who flung his hands in the air and stomped away.

“Well a friendly voice, yes Kelly, it’s me. So much happened after I woke up. I guess Blair was preoccupied.” Todd grinned, he pictured Kevin’s discomfort. “I called to let you guys know about Vicki. She was shot last night by Mitch Lawrence’s psycho disciple Alison, and before you get too upset, she’s going to be alright.”

“I thought Alison was in prison? Both she and Mitch have been in there since he took Jessica a couple of years ago.”

“Yes well, we had a blackout last night and I guess it affected Statesville Prison.  Seems a number of inmates escaped.  Mitch and Alison were two of them.  According to Vicki, Mitch kidnapped Natalie, but she turned the tables and killed him, or so I was told.   Then, this Alison character went to Llanfair and shot Vicki. Like I said, Vicki is recovering and the town is trying to get back to normal.”

“My God, I'm so glad she is okay. What a relief. Joey would never handle it if . . . well, you know.”

“I know... So uh, why don’t you two jet back over here. Joey could see Vicki and well maybe you and I could talk about you coming back and working for me. Look, I know maybe this isn’t the time, but I’m desperate. I need someone I can trust to keep these writers in line. They were used to you and Jake. I’m already butting heads with a number of them.”

           “I think if you threatened them with the likes of Thomas Lord coming on staff, they might buckle under the pressure. His writing has garnered quite a number of great reviews.”

            Todd smiled. It was gratifying to know his articles as Thomas were getting recognition.  Obviously, Kelly didn’t know he was Thomas Lord. “I’m not sure he’s available at the moment, but it’s an idea. I really could use you Kelly and besides you haven’t met your new cousin. Well, I guess you could say half-cousin. Blair’s half-sister Kym.”

            “Whoa there, Boy. Talk about dropping some bombshells.   Where the heck did she come from?” Kelly couldn’t believe her ears, how come no one had called to let her know about this new development. Blair and Addie had some explaining to do.

            “Oops, I let that one out of the bag early. Blair will kill me.” Todd knew he had her hooked. Kelly had never been good at being left out of anything. If he had her figured right she and Joey would be heading back to Llanview on the earliest flight. “Hey don’t tell her I told you, I think she wanted to surprise you when everything settled down. I’m sure she’ll be calling you any day now.”

          “You know what Todd. You’re right. Joey really would like to make sure Vicki is alright. You tell her to take it easy, we’ll be home soon.”

The connection was broken as she hung up and he felt a sense of triumph. She was stubborn, but he still hoped to talk her into staying once she was back in town. Well, one call down now for the one he was dreading.

“I’m trying to reach Senator Lord. Tell her it in regards to her great niece Starr Manning.” he thought he was going to gag. Blair’s aunt was a she-devil, and he had felt blessed when she had departed for The Senate. Better they have to handle her than him. From the day Blair had begun hanging out with him in friendship, the woman had been a thorn in his side. He couldn’t believe he was actually asking a favor of her. Still, she loved Starr, so odds were in his favor she would pull the necessary strings and he would be able to spring Cole.

Dorian looked at the phone suspiciously. The caller hadn’t identified himself and she wondered if she should have security screen the call, at the same time, if Starr was in trouble, she didn’t want to put up any flags. She asked her aid to leave the room and picked up the phone.

“This is Senator Lord, what is this about?”

“Dorian, so nice of you to take the call.”

The voice was so familiar. Of course, it was Samuel, Blair’s new husband. “Samuel, Blair informed me you had come out of your coma. I must say I was very disappointed when you ran out on her. But she explained about Carlo and the hits put out on your head. Then you were hurt, my goodness you gave us all a scare. You do realize what a gem you have in her.”

          “More than you’ll ever know, Auntie Dorian.”

           Dorian felt a chill go down her back at the name, especially hearing it come across the receiver with that voice and tone. It only took a moment for the realization to kick in. “Oh my God, no. It can’t be. You’re dead.”

          “No, actually, I’m very much alive. I’m disappointed. I thought you were a subscriber to The Sun. It made all the headlines. I’m Todd Manning and yes, Blair and I are legally married. So don’t even think of interfering there. Now that you’re brought up to speed, I have a favor to ask, and before you laugh in my face, it’s for Starr.”

          Dorian had been all set to blast him for even thinking she would help him until he mentioned Starr. It had to be something unusual for Todd to ask a favor of her. Boy, would he owe her. “Why, Todd, of course, I’ll do anything to help Starr.”

         Todd wanted to hang up on her so bad. She had instantly become sugary sweet and he could only guess how she would hold this favor over him.  He seriously thought about just having the boy declared dead and getting him out of the country. But that would mean taking him away from Starr and Hope. If he was going to do this right, he needed Dorian’s help.

          He got right to the point. “There was a breakout last night from Statesville Prison. There were injuries and one of those injured was Cole while saving a guard. I thought you might be able to work something out with the Governor and get a pardon for the boy. Starr was devastated that they were sending him back as soon as he was healed. Remember, this is for Starr.” He waited impatiently for her reply. God woman, answer already!

           Dorian had been waiting with bated breath for Todd’s request. She found it utterly delicious that he had called for a favor, but now he had surprised her. Never in her wildest imagination had it ever occurred to her that Todd would help the young man who had gotten his daughter pregnant. The animosity between the other Todd and Cole had been overwhelming. The Todd she knew would have wanted the kid to stay locked up and far away from Starr. “Am I hearing you correctly? You want me to get Cole a pardon. You do know what that means? He would be free to be with Starr again.”

         “Yes, I’m aware it would allow him to be with Starr again. I’ll do anything for Star. You know that Dorian.”

“My, my but this is delightful, you had me fooled there for a moment Samuel. When did you and Blair decide to go after Todd’s estate.”

“What? But Dorian...” Before he could get a word in she prattled on
.
“It must have been while you were in Savannah. I’ll bet Vicki has no idea and accepts you as her brother. Don’t worry I’ll keep your little secret. You’ll have to watch out, though, too many of these types of actions will give you away. Todd never would allow the Thornhart boy anywhere near Star again.”

“It’s not a scam.” He couldn’t believe it Dorian was determined to accept anything but the truth with regards to his identity.

“Excellent, Samuel, you’ve even got his anger down pat. Like I said I won’t tell, I’m really quite glad Blair met you in Paris. I never understood her love for that ruffian Todd. You’re a much better fit for her. By the way, I never had a chance to tell you how much I loved your portraits of Blair. You captured her beautifully, and your home is stunning. Now, back to your call. I’d be delighted to help Starr. After all, I’m a United States senator. I’m sure we can get a pardon for Cole seeing as he helped a guard. You tell my niece it’s a done deal. Give my love to Blair and you take care of her Samuel, or you’ll have me to deal with.” She hung up. Samuel, you’re a man after my own heart. To think you would scam your own cousin. Bravo. In minutes, she was on the phone with the Governor.

Todd stared at the phone in shock. What the hell had just happened? That proved it., Dorian was nuttier than Addie. “Okay! If you want to keep thinking of me as Samuel, Dorian, you go right ahead as long as you help Cole.” He closed his phone and sat down in his chair. This was too much. He burst out laughing, unable to wait to tell Blair of this development.

Just then, Blair walked into his office.”Hey, what’s got you so happy?”

“Your aunt,” but then the absurdity of the situation hit and he erupted into laughter again.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated