Total Pageviews

Friday, November 25, 2011

Todd Manning: Enigma, Ch. 16

Chapter 16

          The call from Daimler left his legs steady when he exited the car and walked into the lobby of the hotel. Blair rushed to meet him. The way her body molded to his was sending all sorts of erotic notions to his brain and his body responded. He didn’t even mind that they were embracing in public. He was in the middle of kissing her thoroughly when Starr cleared her throat.

          “You two might want to take that somewhere more private.” Starr smiled when they both parted.  Todd kept his hold on Blair’s waist, his hand continuing to caress the toned waist underneath his fingers, and started walking to the elevator. As they passed an older couple they overheard them talking. “Young kids just don’t have any sense of propriety. In my day, that kind of display was frowned on."

           Todd could feel Blair trying to contain herself. Her body trembling. He looked to see if she was angry at the remark, and saw her pressing her lips together and the hint of a smile beginning to escape. They entered the elevator. As soon as the doors closed, she burst out laughing, along with Starr.  Perplexed at their reaction, he suddenly realized the absurdity of the overheard remark. He started chuckling, then just let it out, laughing so hard tears began forming and he felt a little light-headed from it. Hope and Sam started laughing because the adults were. Todd, Blair, and Starr looked at the kids and it set them all off again. They were still going at it when they got off on the penthouse floor. Todd tried to get his composure back, still grinning as they neared the penthouse. Upon entering the suite, Todd was brought up short by Addie’s visitor.

           “This is a surprise. Who’s holding down the fort at The Herald? I didn’t think you ever left that place at this time of day, Amos.”

          “I’m just visiting with a friend. We became quite chummy when we were waiting to see if you were going to survive the night you got shot.” Amos looked at Addie and smiled.

           Todd caught Addie’s eyes and raised his eyebrows. She actually blushed and dropped her eyes. “Why you old coot, she’s sweet on you,” thought Todd, taking a closer harder look at his editor. Didn’t Amos already have a girl? Better not be stepping out around Addie. He liked Amos and he was a good friend, but Addie was family.

            “Addie told me you were coming home today and I wanted to give you some news. It appears that your articles have captured the nation’s attention. It seems states all over are beginning to enact laws to fight the problem. That was an impressive series of stories Thomas, and I’m hoping you plan on sticking around and writing more.”

           Todd looked at Blair and back to Amos. “I’m not sure how much longer we’ll be here Amos. I appreciate the offer, but something else has come up that will probably require us to leave soon.” Blair gave him a puzzled look. “I’ll explain later,” he responded to her and turned back to Amos. “That being said, I want you to know I’m grateful you let me run with the story. I hope you can stay a little longer, maybe we could have a little chat. Sit, continue your talk with Addie, I just need to talk to Blair in private for a moment.” He grabbed her hand and led her to their bedroom.

           “Todd, I know it’s been a while, but we can’t do it right now, not with Amos out there in the living room,” Blair says pulling her hand free.

            Todd looks at Blair flabbergasted. ”No! That’s not why I wanted time alone. I wanted to tell you I got a call from Gregor right before leaving my room. Blair, he’s not finished with us.”

          “Oh God, what did he say?”

          Todd walked to their bed and sat down. He sat her down next to him. “He wanted me to know he felt our game had only been derailed and that it was back on track since I survived. I’m pretty sure he’s still in The States.”

         “What is it with you two? Why can’t you both agree to leave each other alone?”

          “It’s not going to happen, Blair. I damaged his little enterprise and I hurt him. He’s got partners to answer to. I cost him a lot, he can’t let that slide. Don’t worry I’ll handle him.” You threw down, Gregor, now get ready for my response.


           Blair looked into his eyes and saw the fire in them. He was actually looking forward to taking on Daimler. “You really want this don’t you?”

           “Hell, yeah I do! He threatened to take you away from me permanently, and I thought he had. Do you have any idea what that did to me?”

            Blair heard the fear in Todd’s voice. “But I’m fine, he didn’t succeed. If I asked you to leave this alone, would you do it?”

             Todd looked her square in the eyes. “No. It’s not an option. He’s already made the first move. I’ve playing catch up.”

           “But he’s dangerous.”

            “So am I.” The tone of his voice was positively frigid, even his posture changed. She felt she was staring into the eyes of an ice statue. Blair recognized him and felt a chill go down her spine. She hadn’t seen this Todd since that night in the warehouse. She had known what he was capable of when she had married him and had even faced him one time herself. He had come so close to raping her, but at the last minute, he had stopped himself. God help Daimler if this Todd faced him.

           Todd noticed that Blair got quiet and realized he had dropped his guard for a minute. He got off the bed and put a little space between them. He closed his eyes, striving to smother the icy anger that had washed over him like a wave. “I’m sorry Blair, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

            Blair moved to stand behind him and embraced him. “Don’t ever do that. I’m not scared of you. I know exactly what you’re capable of and I know the strength it takes to harness that anger.” she turned him to face her. “Todd, you hide that part of you extremely well and I think it scares you more than me. I saw you nearly take Sid’s head off and I witnessed you almost kill Carlo, but both times you stopped yourself. I believe with all my heart that you’ll never again let it take you over.” She took his face in her hands. “You’ll need everything at your disposal to fight Daimler, so use it. Remember, you’re in charge.” His lips found hers, and this time no prying eyes were watching.

           A little while later Amos and Todd walked out on the terrace to have their chat.

            “You had us all worried that night. What on earth were you thinking to go to the docks handicapped the way you were?”

            “I had a hunch the ringleader might still be in town. I figured if I let myself be caught, I’d get to meet him. It worked.”

           “So you met this guy, the head honcho. Who is he?”

            “I can’t tell you, Amos. I have nothing to tie him to the slave-ring. Things got worse shortly after I met him. Somehow he had Blair and her family. I was helpless.” Todd paused for a moment. “Amos, he taunted me and said that he had plenty of contacts who knew how to school and treat someone like Blair. He was crowing when he said he could make money off of her, Cassie and Addie.”

           The anguish and frustration that Tom must have felt were evident to Amos as he saw him take a stiff gulp of his drink and heard the catch in his voice. “Tom, I’m sorry, that had to be rough.”

           Todd shook his head, and took a deep breath, clearing the memory. “That’s alright Amos. It’s over. When he said those things, I went ballistic and attacked him. I knew if I got to John, I could save Blair. Unfortunately, I didn’t see the shooter, and as they say, the rest is history.”

           “So you don’t know what happened to the guy after you attacked him?”

             “I know he didn’t get caught and I know my shooter died.”

            Amos studied his friend, his reporter’s instincts told him there was something Thomas wasn’t saying. He watched Thomas move to the rail. “Are you going to leave it at that?”

            Todd’s hands gripped the rail tightly. “Would you?”

             “If someone had threatened my family in that way, I’d want him dead. He didn’t die on that boat, so I’m guessing you’re not done with him.”

             “You’d be right, but this is now personal, even more than you realize, Amos”

              “Tom, it’s obvious this guy’s got a lot of pull and the funds to stay out of reach of the law. How are you going to find him?”

             “I’ve got my own sources, Amos. I’ll find him.” Todd’s voice had gotten soft but ominous, his posture changed as he stiffened with suppressed anger.

              Amos could see, by the vein pulsing in Tom’s neck and the way his hands were strangling the rail, that nothing was going stop the young reporter from finding the man. “Just promise me you won’t do anything stupid, good investigative reporters are hard to come by.”

               At his words, Todd relaxed and turned back to Amos with a grin. “Is that your way of saying you’ll miss me?”

               “Damn straight, your stories are great for circulation.”

               “You wound me, Amos. That’s all I am, good copy?” Todd gripped his heart in mock pain and chuckled. He was grateful for the banter he wanted some space from Daimler for the rest of the night.

              “Well sure, you didn’t think it was your sparkling personality, did you?”

               Todd couldn’t help laughing. “Good one Amos.” It was true, no one could ever accuse him of that. Still smiling, Todd changed the subject. “So what’s going on with you and my mother-in-law?”

            Amos was startled by the question, almost choking on his drink., “I find her a charming woman and from what I got from our conversations, she’s pretty fond of you.”

            “You didn’t really answer me. How long have you been seeing her socially? I’m not blind, there’s more going on than just friendship.”

            Amos stared hard at Tom. “Why the interrogation?’

          “Just curious. I seem to remember another lady friend of yours helping us out recently. Addie just seems taken with you. “

           “The lady friend you're talking about is just that, a friend. Not that it’s any of your business. I like Addie. We enjoy each other’s company. That’s all I’m saying on the matter “

           Todd nodded in acceptance, letting go of the thought of the previous girlfriend nonsense. “You’re right Amos. It really isn’t any of my business. I guess I’m just being overprotective right now after recent events. I’m pretty fond of her too. I just don’t want her hurt.” He looked at Amos. “You understand right?”

          “I understand Tom”

         Blair and Addie came out on the terrace and interrupted. “Okay chat’s over, we’re hungry. Todd, you just got home, so I say we order up from room service. Amos, please stay. I’d like to hear more about the reactions to Tom’s articles.”

          It was late when Amos took his leave. Todd was worn out but happy to just be sitting beside Blair. They were enjoying one final drink on the terrace. The view was beautiful, lights from the neighboring buildings, and the ones between the hotel and the ocean looked liked diamonds against the dark night. A mild breeze was blowing in from the ocean, the rustling curtains were the only sound heard. The overall stillness of the night wrapped around them.

           Blair was being held gently in Todd’s arms and she wrapped them tighter around her. It had only been a short while ago, that Todd had been unresponsive to anything. “Todd, do you remember anything about the time you were in the coma?”

           Todd didn’t answer her at first. He remembered waking up from that strange dream he had been having about Blair and their park bench. He also recalled a night when he overheard C.J. and Lily but beyond those few things, nothing was clear. “It’s all pretty foggy. I get these flashes, but I can’t grasp them. The more I try, the more I get this feeling of dread. Whatever I was thinking or dreaming, is something I don’t want to relive.”

        Todd tilted Blair’s face up to his. “This is something I do remember. You were the one who brought me home. I know I’ve said this before, with you it just gets easier. I love you.”

         Blair ran her fingers over his scars and down his jaw. It was a strong jaw on a strong man. He was her man and the father of her children. “You are all I want. We’re strong together Todd, and our enemies need to beware.” Whispering in her breathy manner, “That includes my so-called father.” She stood up and held out her hand. “Let’s go to bed.”

         His breath caught as an image of her all in white with her hand outstretched popped into his head. A wave of warmth seemed to radiate from her and for a moment she seemed surrounded by a soft light. He reached to take her hand and felt that warmth encompass him. The aura around her faded and he stared in wonder at her. “You take my breath away.” He led her to their bed. With gentle hands, he removed her robe watching the silk fall gracefully to the floor and pool at her feet. He slid his hands slowly up her arms ending at her beautiful neck. They captured her face and his thumbs rubbed against her lower lip and his fingers traced her expressive eyes. She closed them and he felt her quiver under his touch.

          Even with her eyes closed, Blair’s hands were doing their own exploring as she released his robe from his broad shoulders letting it fall to mingle with hers. With every stroke of his fingers, the tremor deep within was growing and her breath was coming faster. He suddenly lifted her and lay her on the bed, working his hand ever lower on her body as his lips suckled and teased her nipples. Blair arched in pleasure, aching for more. There had been nights when she had gone to sleep crying, afraid he was never coming home. She couldn’t stop her tears from falling and Todd suddenly noticed them. He stopped, confused, “Blair what is it?”

        “Don’t stop, I just missed this. I thought I would never be this happy again. Please, I need the  touch of your hands on my body.” Her eyes were sparkling with more unshed tears. “Only you make me feel this alive.”

         Responding to her plea, Todd leaned in and took her generous mouth.  His hands and tongue continued their exploration, as her moans of pleasure increased. When her cries escalated, his body reacted in kind. His own breathing became frenzied, he felt intoxicated. She was insatiable, finally turning the tables on him and taking control; equally intent on making sure Todd was as satisfied as she was. When he could no longer stand it, his body demanding release, he flipped her onto her back and slipped into her like a glove as she tightened around him, slick and ready. They moved together, her pulsating around him in counter beat to his movement until the final note climaxed; then incredible silence, only their breathing heard. He dropped beside her on the bed finding her hand, feeling her warmth, and felt it flow from her to him. He raised her hand to his lips. In the barest whisper, he said. “You are my home,” kissed it, and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated