Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Don't Shoot the "Messenger", Ch. 12


Kevin passed a limousine headed out as he arrived at Llanfair. Probably some of his mother’s society friends. The Banner had informed him that she was still recuperating at home after the shooting. He felt guilty for not even letting her know he was coming. Todd had done that. He had seen right through him and had known he was in town to get Kelly. As much as he tried, he had never been able to read Todd, but, unfortunately, Todd had always been able to read him. That fact just fed Kevin’s animosity. When the whole town had been on Todd’s back for the hospital rapes, Todd had recognized that someone was setting him up. No one had believed him or wanted to, because of the vile acts he had perpetrated on Marty, Luna, and Nora. Even when their own cousin Powell had turned out to be the rapist, Kevin’s sympathy had gone to Powell because he had been driven mad by Todd. Kevin refused to accept that Todd hadn’t done anything to Powell, choosing instead to point out to anyone who would listen that Powell wouldn’t have lost it if Todd had remained locked up where he belonged.

Damn you, Grandfather, your bastard son is back and has managed to ingratiate himself with Mom again. You should have insisted he be gotten rid of when you had the chance. Kevin’s encounter with Todd had just caused his anger to fester as he had made his way to Llanfair, he had to figure out a way to make his mother realize, once and for all, that her younger brother was and always would be a monster.

He let himself in the front door and heard his brother Joey in the library talking to his mom. He didn’t want to let Joey know he was in town yet, so he headed for the kitchen hoping to run into one of his sisters or his dad. He was getting ready to open the door when Nigel emerged.

“Master Kevin, what a surprise. Neville didn’t mention you were making the trip also?”

“It was a spur of the moment decision, Nigel, I just decided I needed to see for myself that Dad and Mom were all right.”

“I see.” In truth, Nigel saw more than Kevin realized. He knew Kevin hadn’t come because of his parents, but because of Kelly. He had watched Kevin go through one woman after another for most of his adult life and he knew Kevin’s penchant for the unavailable ones. Kelly was with Joey, so all of a sudden, Kevin wanted her again. He, of course, would not say anything, even if he disapproved, his loyalty was to Mr. Buchanan and his family no matter what. “I believe your mother is in the library with your brother and your father is in the kitchen with your niece, Bree.”

“Thanks, Nigel, I think I’ll see Dad first.” Kevin felt the need to get away from Nigel’s very perceptive gaze. So he entered the kitchen, finding his dad diligently making a snack with Bree. “You’re going to spoil her dinner, Dad.” It always bothered him when Kelly gave Zane something to snack on so close to dinner, but he couldn’t get her to stop.

Clint jumped at the voice and looked in surprise at his son. “Kevin, it’s good to see you. Why didn’t you let us know you were coming? This is great. When did you get here?”

“I arrived in town a short while ago, but I had an errand to run before I came here. Dad, I can understand Mom not telling me about Todd, but why didn’t you let me know that weasel was back in town.”

Clint looked down at Bree. This wasn’t a conversation for her ears.  “Bree, honey, you go ahead and take your snack upstairs, I’m going to have a chat with your Uncle Kevin.” He watched her walk carefully up the stairs with her plate and turned to his son. “Kevin, by now I would have thought you had gotten over your hatred for the guy. You had accepted the other guy and backed off of him. What is it about this Todd Manning that has you tied up in knots? And, by the way, Bree loves her Great Uncle so don’t hurt her with unfounded and snide remarks.”

Kevin was dumbfounded. He hadn’t expected his father to defend the guy. “What the hell is going on? Don’t tell me you like the guy now?”

“I’m never going to like him, but I respect him and I know what he’s been through recently. I’m betting you have no idea. Just like up until a few days ago you had no idea what happened to your mother.”

“Hey Dad, that’s not fair. We just got the call”

Clint looked at his son. “Who called you?” He waited, he wanted to see if Kevin would admit the call had come from Todd. There was one thing he was sure about Manning and that was his love for Vicki. Living here with Vicki and seeing Todd interact with Jessica and Bree, and Natalie and Liam had given him a fresh perspective on the former rapist.

Kevin frowned this wasn’t going the way he had planned at all. Just what had Manning been doing since he got back. “Okay, you got me. Todd called, I was shocked when Neville told me who was on the phone. I thought he was dead.  I took the phone because I thought it was a hoax. That's when he told me about Mom.  I didn't get a chance to do too much other talking because Kelly took the phone from me. So he did a good deed and let us know about mom.  It doesn't change what I know about the guy. He'll never change.  He's the same self-centered bastard he always was  The only thing I'd like to know is where he's been all this time and why he chose to come home now and mess with the status quo.  The town was finally rid of Todd Manning when the other bastard died."

  Clint couldn't believe his son.  Kevin knew his mother had loved the other Todd and for him to speak so callously about his death was shocking, to say the least.  Thank god, Vicki wasn't hearing it.  As far as the circumstances surrounding the Real Todd's return to town and everything that followed, Kevin must have lived in a bubble these last few months.

“Kevin, do you even bother to read The Banner anymore?  Have you been so wrapped up in wheeling and dealing for Buchanan Enterprises that the Banner is beneath your notice? Todd’s Story was international news, not only has he been making the news, he’s turned into a hell of a reporter.”

“Oh come on Dad, he’s all about sensationalism. I’m not surprised to hear he made international news.  Who did he murder this time?”

Clint shook his head. He had never realized how closed-minded Kevin had become. Clint found himself for the first time on Todd Manning’s side. Todd had always said that no one in the town gave him the benefit of the doubt. Clint finally realized Todd was right. “Kevin get off your high horse. You’re no prince. All these years I went right along with the rest of the goody-two-shoes in this town putting the man down for his past. Well, I learned something about myself this year. Anyone can make mistakes. I’ve made some whoppers this last year. Right now, this minute, I should be living at Statesville for my crimes.”

“Come off it, Dad. You didn’t rape or brutalize anyone. You didn’t kill a man.”

“No, I didn’t, but one was killed because of me. Your own sisters had their lives torn apart because of me. Can you stand there and say I’m a better man than Todd Manning? Much of what he did in his youth was because of anger. I know what anger can do to a man. It ate me alive. I was jealous of my own brother and plotted against him using my nephew to hurt him. Yet you stand here ready to forgive me of my sins because I’m your father."

 "Dad, it's not the same at all.  You never intended to hurt Natalie or Jessica and I know how hurt you were when Nora chose Uncle Bo over you.  So you went a little crazy.  You felt they cheated on you.  Todd cares only for himself.  Look at how long he stayed away.  If he had loved mom. He would have been here for her.  As far as I can tell he never changed.  He doesn't know the first thing about putting other people first."

"You're wrong Kevin.  I can’t believe I’m doing this, but let me tell you what Todd Manning did all year. The man came back to town and with the help of the impostor took down Carlo Hesser and Ivan Kipling and sent them to Statesville, he also managed to write a series of articles that led to the breakup of a white slavery ring here in the States.” He paused as he saw Kevin’s eyes open wide. “Yes Kevin, you know the articles I’m talking about. You’re so smart I’m surprised you didn’t figure it out. He’s Thomas Lord.  He was shot and almost died trying to get that story out to the public.  Your mom sat here wondering if she would be attending his funeral so soon after the impostor's.  You have no idea what that did to her.  So now you tell me.  Do you hate Todd because of what he did all those years ago, or do you hate him because he managed to pull himself out of the gutter and actually make something of himself?”

“He was only able to do that because of Victor Lord’s money.”

“You really believe that, don’t you? Let me show you something. Follow me.” Clint headed upstairs. Downstairs, unseen by either of them stood Vicki and Joey inside the kitchen door.

“Did I just hear right? Did Dad just defend Todd?" Joey looked over at his mom.

Vicki nodded tears in her eyes. Her heart was so full at that moment. Clint had spoken up for Todd and he had meant every word. “I wish Todd could have heard him?“

“Mom is what Dad said true, about Todd being the reporter who wrote those amazing articles.”

“Oh Joey, you only know a small portion of what Todd’s done this last year. You know about the Hesser-Kipling Trial and its outcome but you have no idea about his whole story. I guess it’s time you heard it.  Maybe then you’ll understand better why Kelly likes him and would even consider working for him.” They sat down in the kitchen and his mother made tea, then she began her story. “It all began last spring when I found him in Father’s tomb....” they were finishing the pot of tea by the time Vicki finished her story.

“So, Samuel wasn’t just an alias to get him back into town until he could prove his identity? Todd actually does suffer from DID and Samuel is an alter. An Artist. Man, the guy is full of surprises. What about Thomas Lord?”

“Thomas Lord was simply Todd’s way to be a reporter without all of his baggage cluttering his life. I gathered from his editor, that when Todd left here after the DID debacle in '98, he ended up down in Savannah and became a reporter. But you know my brother.  Even then he knew how to make enemies, and he left Savannah after exposing a crooked judge. You know what happened next, he came here again until he disappeared the night of Sam Rappaport’s death.”

Joey didn’t know what to say. He had never hated Todd the way Kevin did but it was surprising to hear just how different the guy was from the man who had kidnapped half of Llanview in 1998. “You say he’s an artist. Have you seen any of his work?”

“Yes, in fact, there’s a lovely portrait of me in your father’s room. But you’ll get a chance to see more of his work. You’re going to Dragonheart for dinner aren’t you?”

“Yes, I suppose so. Kelly is anxious for me to see the place. I must admit to being curious to see Todd again after hearing all this. I think it’s time I got to know my uncle better.” At that, they were interrupted by Nigel, who informed them that Shaun had come to pick up Joey.

            After Joey departed, Vicki sat down with the last of her tea. Okay, Kevin, what’s the real reason behind your visit. She didn’t want to think about what her oldest son was up to because she was afraid it involved Kelly again. She picked up the cups and set about washing them, sooner or later Kevin would have to hear everything about Todd.

***
            Kevin followed his father to what he assumed was his Dad’s new room. “What did you want to show me and what does it have to do with Todd?”

             “I wanted to show you the gift I received from your mother. Beautiful isn’t she?”

              Kevin found himself viewing a lovely portrait of his mother. “It’s great Dad, Mom’s always been photogenic. Who painted it?”

             “His name is Samuel Toddman. He’s really quite well known. He came onto the art scene about eight years ago and made a name for himself in Europe and around the world.”

             “Toddman? That’s the last name of Mom’s long lost relative isn’t it?” 

              “Actually, Samuel is the long-lost relative in a sense.”    

             “That’s kind of cryptic. What the matter with him, is he a sham?”

             “Before I answer that question, let me ask one? Looking at that portrait would you say the man was a sham?”

“He would be if he didn’t actually paint it.”

“That’s what I thought at first, but I had the picture authenticated and Samuel Toddman is indeed the artist. I even had him investigated. I found out he lived a reclusive life in Paris and was highly thought of in painting circles. I also found out he was pretty well off. He really had no need to bother Vicki except to want to get to know her. So my next question would be, do you have any trouble with Samuel Toddman as a relative?”

“No, he sounds like an all right guy, hardworking, with his connections he’s obviously not trying to get anything from Mom. Is he still in town?"

“Very much so. During my investigation into Samuel, I discovered one curious fact. Samuel had no history before 2003. Nothing. I later tracked down his medical history and found out he had amnesia. He remembered nothing before the night of March 14th, 2003. but I’m getting away from the point I was trying to make about Todd. You just said you had no problem with a man like Samuel because he worked for his living. He used his talent to make a name for himself without any help from anyone. But you believe Todd hasn’t earned his stripes so to speak because he inherited his father’s money. You really don’t think he could make it on his own. Is that right?”

“Damn straight. Todd doesn’t have the brains or the talent to make it on his own.”

Clint sat down on his bed. “You really believe that, don’t you? The only thing you ever saw was a man who used his grandfather’s money to make trouble for us. It has never occurred to you that Todd was right. He was brash and undisciplined, he walked a fine line every day when he began putting out The Sun. But he was also smart. The Sun filled a void in this town. The Banner had gotten complacent and forgotten it served a whole town. Todd figured that out. You refused to see it then and you refuse to see it now.” 

“Look, Dad, I get what you’re saying about Todd, but it doesn’t change the fact that without the money he couldn’t have made The Sun what it is today. Now Samuel Toddman, he didn’t have much but from what you told me he’s doing okay.” Kevin just couldn’t see the point his dad was trying to make. 

“ Samuel Toddman had no memory but he didn’t let that stop him. He went to work and sold himself and his art. He made a name for himself on a shoestring and last spring he got his memory back. He remembered he had a family and another life. He also found out something else about himself. He wasn’t real, at least not in the traditional sense. You see Samuel Toddman was and is an alter.”

“God Dad, are you telling me Mom has another relative out there that suffers from DID? I don’t get it, if Samuel is an alter, then who is the real relative?”

“He’s my brother.”

Kevin spun around to face his mother. “What did you say?”

“I said, Samuel Toddman is my brother Todd’s alter. There’s absolute proof now.” She saw his look and knew he was getting ready to blast her for once again believing Todd’s lies.

“Kevin, don’t even go there. Your father, Bo, and the whole town know the truth.  For eight years Samuel helped Todd survive.  If Blair hadn’t found him, he would still be living a half existence or very probably he would now be dead because of what Carlo Hesser did to him all those years ago.” She looked into his eyes and saw that he refused to believe what they were telling him. “Kevin, I love you but I will not stand here and let you harass Todd any longer.  I can see now that you’ll never change your hatred for Todd. So all I ask is that you refrain from bothering him. Live your life and let him live his.” She turned to leave Clint’s room, she knew she would never get through to her oldest and it saddened her.  Kevin was jealous of Todd and of the attention Todd received from her. He would never understand the bond between her and Todd and she was tired of trying to explain it. “You should go back to London Kevin, you’ll never be happy here.” Vicki left the room.

“Mom wait!” Kevin followed, intent on trying to make her see his side of things.

From his position on the bed, Clint listened as Kevin caught up to Vicki and started pleading his case. He knew from experience that it was going to be a losing battle. Vicki no longer took the high road to avoid a confrontation and this time, she would fight tooth and nail for her brother because Kevin was in the wrong. He sighed, Kevin should have stayed in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. All constructive comments welcomed and appreciated